Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard to Replace Aux Water Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:35 PM
1st Gear
Default How hard to Replace Aux Water Pump?

How hard of a job is this (any engine retiming or anything like this)? Are there any sticky articles to guide me through this job?

What other parts should I plan to replace while I'm knee deep into the job?

Are there any upgrades in parts quality that I can make when buying my new parts (any companies that make an exceptional Aux. pump)?

Will probably start the work on Mon. thanks for all the help.

- A6 2.7L Quatro

Old 10-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Former Sponsor

You will want to search for an answer on what's involved in the job. I did and didn't find a lot. What I did find was some had good luck without removing the intake manifold to get to the pump, some found it was impossible to get to it unless you had very small hands.

The kit is 078-998-998 and has the new pump for relocation, plus some hoses and the plastic pipe to take the place of the old pump from under the intake. Kit runs 171.12, and 2 intake manifold gaskets run 7.87 each. Plus coolant but you may want to get that local, doesn't really pay to ship that, but we can if you need us to.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:28 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info Jeff

Old 10-11-2012, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

Anyone else have any suggestions on items I should think about replacing while I have the manifold off?

Old 10-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Former Sponsor

I also just remembered that the connector housing from the harness that comes in the kit might not mate to the connector on the engine harness that was used to supply power to the pump in the original location. I've never run into it in parts yet, but heard that it can happen. A different connector is then required to make it fit. So check that first if you go with the kit.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

I've found that you CAN change the pump without removing the intake but it's almost more work than it's worth. Tried it once, went back to just pulling the intake. Actually not pulling all the way off. You can leave a good majority of the hoses and wiring attached and have enough room to sort of tilt it up (like opening a hinged lid), use a bungie cord to hold it up out of the way. In my experience, ends up taking the same amount of time as working around the intake with it bolted on, a lot less frustration though!

Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 AM
3rd Gear

Taking the intake off is not that hard. Yes, it looks complicated, but not really. You would need new intake manifold gaskets. I replaced mine with a Felpro gasket set instead of the OEM stuff. Cheaper and I trust Felpro. In general, you would need a standard array of tools. The throttle body has a few allen bolts and the intake is also held with allen bolts. One thing to keep in mind is that your breather and vacuum hoses will be very brittle if you haven't touched them for awhile. Here is a brief guide.

- Loosen coolant tank and set it off to the side.
- Intake charging pipes come off.
- Plate over the throttle body that holds bunch of vacuum equipment comes off.
- Throttle body comes off.
- Disconnect the injector wiring. There is no need to disconnect the fuel rail/hoses. You can swing the intake with the fuel rail assembly to the side once lifted.
- There are 2 cone shaped plastic guides that help you align the manifold. When you lift the manifold, they will either break and/or fall into the engine block. You don't need them to reassemble, but make sure to get it out of the engine block.

While there, check the various coolant hoses at the rear. If you see any signs of wear, then replace them.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the info.

I ended up ordering the parts from audipartsusa.com - even with 2nd day shipping it was about $100.00 less than local Audi dealer.

I should get the parts on Tues. I will let you guys know how things go with the retrofit kit and repairs.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:49 PM
1st Gear

Jeff/anyone,

Is there some online instructions for installing the relocation kit, where to bolt the new mount and such?

Old 10-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Location of the pump would be to install it in place of where hose #28 is. Hose 54 and 55 with pump 50 in between them would be the new location of the aux pump. On to bracket 52. Then in place of the old pump 13, a plastic 90 degree fitting would go. You would keep hoses 14 and 15, or may want to replace them as long as you are in there. The harness that did connect to pump 13 is now lengthened with the new one from the kit and runs down to the new location on lower passengers side of the engine. I don't know of any instructions. I tried to find some in regards to info on the connector housing that may need to be replaced where it connects to the wire harness to the engine where the old pump 13 would be.

Name:  101812coolingsystem27s4.jpg
Views: 5075
Size:  79.8 KB

Quick Reply: How hard to Replace Aux Water Pump?