Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often cv boots tear?

Old 03-06-2009, 03:36 PM
2nd Gear
Default How often cv boots tear?

Being under the car for transmission service, I noticed fresh front outer cv boot tear.

It’s been always a mystery for me throughout the years the persistent occurrence of cv boot tears on VAG cars.

I’m pretty sure this very typical event on VAG cars can not be challenged by any other brand or make for the first place (in any class).

I have no explanation - at least none that makes sense.

Do you have one? Please share your opinion

Old 03-06-2009, 05:21 PM
3rd Gear

Probably it must have something to do with the boot materials they use(d). From what I have seen recently, most axles are advertised with "new, improved neoprene boots".
One interesting aspect is that in vast majority of cases the outer boots are the ones geting torn. That would make some sense due to constant stretching/compacting action they're subjected too, as compared to the inner boots.
You guys (quite a few around) have been into Audi for some time and should have more insight than a neofite such as myself. Is there a "year" threshhold for these occurences? Do newer (let's say 2005-6 on) Audi exhibit the same boot wear rate as older models?
If that's the case, then the cause should be more than just the boot material itself.

Although this might not make a whole lot of sense if the outer boots are the only ones that get torn, could it be that the chemical composition of the grease used by Audi (or German manufacturers in general) is more "aggresive" or "abbrasive" toward rubber than different type of greases used by all other manufacturers?
Could it be that the heat produced in the joint over time modifies its lubrication/protection properties and causes to erode the rubber earlier than expected?

Could it be also that driving habits affect adversely the longevity of the boots? I believe that (at least) one common denominator Audi drivers have in common is... POWER under the tushy. When you have quite a few good ponies under you, and a better than average stability compared with other cars, the tendency is to negotiate curves at a higher speed, and at a much sharper angle. I may be wrong, but at least that's what I observe with drivers behind the wheel of a "better" car.

Probably the explanation for premature CV boot wear in Audis is more complex than this and may reside with other elements I have no clue of.

Anyway, I just replaced the original axles in my "crappy" Elantra since the driver side outer boot was torn since October at around 89,500 miles (the inner boot was still good)...
So I replaced them at 90,620 miles (what I have now on the clock), and the passenger side axle still had both boots in good condition...

Last edited by chefro; 03-06-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 PM
2nd Gear

You know, one thing I really like about my A6 is the turning radius. I can fit into parking spots that would be problems for my Mazda 323 due to the really tight turns this car can make. However, this tight turning radius stretches the outer CV boot a lot and probably contributes to its early demissal.

That, and the fact that the Germans have to use way too much recycled material in their cars! "New improved neoprene" means "new, non-recycled neoprene".

Bob

Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 PM
3rd Gear

Just as a datapoint, I have 132k miles and all OEM suspension. CV boots are fine, per my mechanic at my oil change last month. And I do like taking those sweeping on/off highway ramps (posted at 35-50) at 50-80.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:07 PM
2nd Gear

I have had issues with torn boots on a Mini Cooper, and a couple of Honda Civic, so it is not exclusively an Audi issue. This is the Achilles heels of any front wheel or all-wheel drive.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:41 PM
1st Gear

I had to replace two torn ones on my '04 at 62,000. One had already been torn for quite a while from the looks of it too.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:13 AM

Depend on where you live, the condition of road can contribute to torn boots. For example, salt for the snow.