Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have an important question about turbos

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Default I have an important question about turbos

I read in a forum that “It’s not if the turbo will blow, but when”…..is this true?
How often will they blow?
It also said that the stock turbo for the A6 are a Ko3
Ko4's are the replacement turbo for the RS4.
There are only 2 off the shelf turbo for the 2.7t that are OEM, the 2 listed above
It also said that “A great way to extend the turbo life is to get DP, they will drop the exhaust temperature by 200 degrees in some cases, plus they will allow the turbo to have less restriction and thus no work as hard to produce as much boost.

All that sounds good, but what I really want to know is how often the turbo will blow... I want s reliable car.

[IMG]local://upfiles/37876/EB51B874AAE54114986DCFAF590E3EA8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-06-2007, 01:17 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: I have an important question about turbos

“It’s not if the turbo will blow, but when”

In reality, that is a really stupid statement... obviously a machine is eventually going to fail! There is no way to get around it. As long as you treat your car right you should be good. There is a guy in the A4 section, david9999 i think his user name is, who still has his stock k03 on his A4 and he has 180k miles or more on it. And that is with having a GIAC chip in his car for the last 90k miles or so. And GIAC is infamous for more aggressive tuning that is harder on the turbo. On the other hand I have heard of peoples turbos going out before 50k miles... They didn't treat their car right, used crappy oil or whatever. It's all in the user and a bit of luck.

And yes the DPs will help extend the turbo life, esp. if you are chipped. It relieves the back pressure and they can breath easier.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:18 AM
1st Gear

“It’s not if the turbo will blow, but when” That is the most accurate statement there is. I actually like that because it is not something people can tell you when to change like a timing belt or suggest like a batt.

the turbos will blow but the more preventive measures you take the longer they will last

Alias is right some blow at 50k and some will last to 200k

Dp's are a good line of defence so is good matinence practice

Old 07-06-2007, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Baskin 4.2l

“It’s not if the turbo will blow, but when” That is the most accurate statement there is. I actually like that because it is not something people can tell you when to change like a timing belt or suggest like a batt.

the turbos will blow but the more preventive measures you take the longer they will last

Alias is right some blow at 50k and some will last to 200k

Dp's are a good line of defence so is good matinence practice
Could agree more! Also practice good driving habits with your turbos, meaning driving easy for the first few minutes until the engine oil heats up, and drive easy the last few minutes/miles before you shut your engine down.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:21 AM

Kool, I dont run my car hard like that anyway so I should be kool, butI do haveanother question. I just got my car, I had it for a week, it's a 2004 A6 2.7TS-line. I pull up somereviews on Yahoo,it said that the 2.7T S-line has 15 more hp (265) then the 2.7T (250). Is that 15 more hp coming from the turbos or is the engine tuned different?

Also, about the K03 and K04 turbos. Will the K04 fit on the 2.7T if it is OEM for the RS4, if so can the 2.7T auto transmission handle that turbo. Again, I just got this car and im trying to learn more about it because if I have to replace the turbo, I want one that will kick out more hp, I got an extended warrenty on OEM parts.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

I see you have read the tips section for the A6. All the info is correct that is why it was put up there.

A6 turbos seem to last longer than the S4. pluss if you have a 2001+ you have the updated oil lines.

the ko4 turbo is the oem upgrade for the ko3. altho it is a upgrade it is not a direct replacment you will need new inlets.

as for the trans you are ok. the tips can be built to handle all the power you can throw at it. you just need to do the same to the trans as you do for the motor. As you updrade as you go.

a tip chip when you start. look into the tc and when you go to ko4 you will need to do both the tc and vb

Old 07-06-2007, 03:20 PM

Twinturbomew...I see that your 2000 2.7T does a 13.3, what are the stock 1/4 mile numbers for the 2.7T's (Anyone can answer really)

Old 07-07-2007, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

I think stock for a6 is 14.6 at 96mph

I have seen several people in stock form go from 14.2 to 14.8 all depends on th driver

Old 07-09-2007, 11:10 AM

I have a 2004 S-line A6 auto, internet say 265 hp, so I guessing I'm like a 14.8?

Old 07-09-2007, 12:13 PM
3rd Gear

In one of the otherAudi forums there was a similar question/survey. Quite a few respondents were still running OEM turbos at 120-155k miles. I'm at just under 100k myself. The GIAC chip was installed around 80k and I generallyaccelerate conservatively, but drive fast. I also take care of the oil and let the car warm up/cool down as appropriate.

If I did have to replace the turbos, I would take a hard look at upgrading to K04s. Just not sure how much more power I would get in addition to the 318hp I'm supposed to be making now from the GIAC chip.

Quick Reply: I have an important question about turbos