Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help on a DIY

Old 03-10-2008, 05:52 PM
1st Gear
Default I need help on a DIY

Can anyone give me directions to change my Cam seals?

Please Help[:@]

Old 03-10-2008, 06:26 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: I need help on a DIY

I don't know what powerplant you have, so I can't give you specific instructions, but it's involved. You basically take the same steps as if you were doing a timing belt replacement (check out audidiy.com for the steps involved with that), and while you have the front of the engine apart, you take off the camshaft pulleys, remove the cover plate that sits behind the pulley, and the seal is right there. I *highly* suggest you have a good seal pulling tool available, as they're in there pretty tight. I broke a bunch of plastic tools before I broke out the industrial-strenth puller (basically a big T handle with a coarse thread on a shaft. That finally did it!). When I did mine, I had a toolkit rental from blauparts.com, so it had a seal driving tool in there (basically just a large hunk of plastic with a lip that set the seal to the right depth).

The seal replacing itself isn't a hard job. Getting at it, however....that takes a bit of work. While you're in there, don't forget to check the crankshaft seal, too.

-Red

Old 03-10-2008, 07:06 PM
3rd Gear

You might as well do the timing belt and Water pump while your there.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:58 AM
1st Gear

Thanks guys..... I am getting all the parts and will be doing this proceedure soon. Should I take pictures and document for other people you think?

Old 03-11-2008, 06:46 PM
1st Gear

Yes!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 PM
1st Gear

Yes do that. I need to do cam seals soon myself

Search this Thread