Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to turn my A6 into a track car

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:20 AM
1st Gear
Question I want to turn my A6 into a track car

I have a 2000 A6 Automatic/Triptronic that I would like to be able to take to a track and have some fun without sliding off the track and killing myself.

I know I need to upgrade the suspension, wheels and tires. What is a good place to find the right items for the job?

Thank You in Advance.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:32 PM
RGT
1st Gear

if the car is in good repair now I would go and do a track day as it is and see what you think needs improving from there. On my first track day I was getting lots of brake fade after the brakes heated up, grooved and drilled front rotors and ceramic pads front and rear made a big difference. I went with lowering springs and performance struts which I found helped a lot too. I am running stock rims and was on stock Michelin tires which chunked pretty badly and were real noisy but handled very predictably but on the loose side...see what people are running on the track you will be going to, for a while the biggest improvements will come from you and learning the track(and car)
If you are making this a dedicated track car you have less compromises to make on what you decide to do, think weight reduction, every pound you shed is that much more useable power and greater braking you have...and it will handle better as well.

Last edited by RGT; 02-07-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 PM
1st Gear

Don't do it the car is waaaay to nose heavy, you will destroy any tire you put up front, the stock brakes suck no matter what rotors or pads you use. Tip trans I would not waste any time on the track with that trans. I run an 01 A6 6 spd stage 3 car with 6 piston Wilwoods up front and 4 piston Wilwoods on the rear, 18x9.5 wheels with 265-35-18 Mich tires and a fully adjustable front suspension, and it still does not handle as well as my Mustang 5.0 AIX track car. But it is still fun you just need to do a lot of mods to make it any fun at all. I would tell you go get an S4 and run that instead of an A6 to big and to heavy.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

my92tealcp. I can see your point going with an S4. It is 1100 lbs lighter. That would matter a lot in a race. I already said, I am NOT racing.

I own an A6. I CANNOT afford to purchase an S4. I can AFFORD to put some tire, suspension and brake upgrades to my current A6.

I am not anywhere as serious as your profile indicates. I like RGTs idea of going to the track and seeing how it behaves and making a decision at that point.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:06 AM
1st Gear

The main problem I see for you doing a track day is the tip trans. It is going to slow you down a ton on your down and up shifts. The brakes are another issue. I am not trying to turn you off to a track session it just won't make you happy and might turn you off. I would tell you first to do an Autocross find the local SCCA chapter or Porsche club and see where you can run. It will be a lot more fun with a tip car. Go to Online motorsport event registration for racing, driving and social events to find places to run.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:37 AM
RGT
1st Gear

I had fun at the track days with my car, they left me wanting more, but I have always been run whatchya brung, don't over think it just go do it will be fun,even if you don't make changes to the car you will improve just by doing it and then you will really appreciate later improvements to the car. My biggest concern with the Tiptronic is not with its performance but more that if it blows it would be really hard to justify replacing it. I did go really easy on the downshifting with that in mind, figuring brakes are a lot cheaper. But no complaints with the auto trans dragging out of the turns and down the straights. If I had spec'd this car when new it would have had a manual box, and it would not be my first choice for a car to throw around the track, but that does not mean I can't have a blast with it since I've got it.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:21 PM
1st Gear
Default I see all your points.

I received my Service manual the other day. I have been reading it. I see the S6 or the RS6 has four pads and four pistons on the front. In order to upgrade to that configuration I would need a new mounting plate for the Calipers.

I am considering this since the brakes need replacing. I know I will be spending more but it would be worth it in the end.

Anyone have suggestions for good brake assemblies at a fair price?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:09 AM
1st Gear

I have the hp2 4 pad calipers that came with my a6 4.2. I really like the brakes with ceramic pads and premium rotors, plenty of bite without being too grabby. That being said if you are having to purchase a whole new brake setup, 6 pot brembos or willwoods would be what I'd go with. It's obviously going to under steer like a dog but a bigger rear sway bar will help some. Also front tires will wear out quick but heck what do you expect when swinging a 2 ton car around. Get a jhm trans tune and have fun. Grassroots sports don't have to be about elitists. If you find you love it you may someday decide to build a track specific car.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:54 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy Big brake upgrades will have to wait.

Thank You all for you input.

I need 17 inch wheels to install the suggested four piston upgrades in the front. They are expensive. Right now the whole package will cost about $4,000 to upgrade wheels, tires and brakes. Too much money.

I am going to focus on upgrading my current rotors and pads. They need attention now. I will need new tires soon so I can upgrade those when they come due.

See you one the track!