Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if you could do it all over again----2.7 or 4.2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

Having parted with my 2.7T I can clearly say I wish I would have went with the 4.2 from the start. I don't care what anyone says, the 4.2 has been rock solid for years and continues to be a reliable powerplant whereas the 2.7T has always had its share of problems.

I had quite a few issues with mine (nothing major) but when the turbos started making noise I just had to let the car go because I couldn't justify spending $5k to replace them. I love the sound of a turbo car, but at the end of the day I just don't think it is worth the hassles.

Now granted you can do a lot more tuning on the 2.7T than you can on the 4.2, but I'm not the type to ever mess around with performance parts so that is a non issue for me. If I really wanted to talk about upgrading turbos etc I suppose I would be just as happy with the supercharger kit on the 4.2L and I dare say it would still be more reliable than a stock 2.7T.

Gas mileage is about the same on both, and overall performance is very close as well, but you have to admire those fender flares on the 4.2L. For me it all came down to reliability however, and after my experience and those of a few A6 turbo owners that I know personally I just wouldn't feel comfortable recommending the 2.7T. In fact I'm not so sure I wouldn't just settle for the 3.0 if it came right down to it as having a reliable car is typically more important than having a fast one.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:09 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by james0013
turbos HATE nothing more than cold running conditions
Huh? Turbos HATE heat! As long as you are good to them with the right oil, cool, or cold, ambient is the best environment for them. I at one time had an '85 Maserati Biturbo, and those old IHI's really went downhill when the ambient was above 75, or I had been driving the car more than 20 miles (thusly building more heat in the engine bay).

Would I buy another 2.7T? Sure! I have always loved that eventual thrust, the kind that makes your eyes open wider, wider, wider, until they pop out of your skull. Did I want a 4.2? Badly. Do I still? Badly. I love those fenders, mmmm. Would I give up the 2.7T to get it? Not necessarily. Part of the reason I bought the 2.7T was due to research I did on here and other sites. Though there were stories of headaches with the 2.7T, I also heard many about the 4.2 (difficulty getting to stuff in that cramped bay, etc). I think the only thing that could get me out of the 2.7T would be an RS6.

Now, If I had to get another Allroad (oh yeah, I got one, I need to add to my sig), I'd go for the 4.2 in a second. The heavy beast needs much more prodding to move than the sedan. Plus, my mileage in that thing sucks. I've never been able to get anywhere near what others claim. I'm always in the 19 area. Question, I've been putting off replacing the temp sensor in the exhaust - could this be eating my mileage down?

Old 06-25-2009, 10:09 PM
TFT
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
I have driven both in wintery conditions, but not an Audi Quattro. You are in a small group of people (in my opinion) who buy the Quattro because they indeed need its better than average handling features in inclement weather road conditions.
If you look across the board, there are not too many people who bought the 2.7 Quattro brand new and specifically for handling their geographical location driving condition.
At least that's my perception and of course it can definitely be skewed. Probably are hundreds or thousands other Audi owners who never post on boards, buy their car brand new, with the Quattro feature for geographical location reasons, and just service it exclusively at the dealer.
I'm sorry my post came across as an "affront" to the owners who buy the 2.7 Quattro for the "right" reasons.

As cbock pointed out, I just gave my opinion. There's really no need to belittle my ability to make statements...
I did not mean to belittle you My point was that if you drove both you would see there is no comparison. I personally own an A4 2.8, A6 4.2, and an A8L, and a 1990 V8 Quattro all with Quattro drive. I would not own an Audi in any other configuration. Its one of those things you need to experience to understand the difference.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:38 AM
1st Gear

I would go with an American car. Tired of my pricey and maintenance heavy 2.7. Should have done more research. Sure wish I had known about this wonderful website before I bought my car. From reading some of the posts, I would have ran the other way...Maybe I can sell it soon.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:49 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TFT
I did not mean to belittle you My point was that if you drove both you would see there is no comparison. I personally own an A4 2.8, A6 4.2, and an A8L, and a 1990 V8 Quattro all with Quattro drive. I would not own an Audi in any other configuration. Its one of those things you need to experience to understand the difference.
Great. With so many Quattros I bet you can haul stuff better than the Carlile drivers from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay on the Dalton. Or maybe you own the Carlile Transportation?

Old 06-29-2009, 03:00 PM

I've owned both a 2.7 MT6 and currently have a 4.2. I love the V8, the car just feels better than the 2.7 during acceleration and cruising speeds. I do wish I could get a manual transmission in the V8 and that is why I'd only sell this car for a S4.