Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iintermittent Humming/friction noise when turning left

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:23 PM
1st Gear
Question Iintermittent Humming/friction noise when turning left

Hi all,

Sometimes when I am taking a sharp left turn at low speeds (pulling into a parking spot usually) I will hear this humming friction noise come from the front of the car accompanied by some light vibration feedback in the steering wheel. Its comes and goes and I put it down to dirt perhaps getting into some joint causing the noise. But it only ever happens when I take a sharp left (never happens when turning right), and the sound seems to only be coming from the front left of the car. Usually will happen once, then stop. Last night happened numerous times as I was driving up my underground parking...did not do it on the way back in. Any ideas on what this could be?

Thanks!

Old 12-13-2009, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

Check the level of power steering fluid.

If you need to add any be sure to use the correct type -- it is NOT petroleum based. "Normal" PS fluid will damage your seals.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

Thanks m000035. I checked and the fluid level is right in the middle of the min and max lines on the stick so it looks ok. Its odd how it only happens intermittently. I would think that if I have a cracked seal or something behind the wheel it would be happening all the time.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

yes im sure its in the owners manual i lost after getting my car, but what is the power steering fluid base if not petroleum, just wondering.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:56 AM
1st Gear

I have always thought it was mineral oil based. But I just checked the can I have in the garage. (CHF 11S) It seems to be a Synthetic oil, having ingredients of both mineral and petroleum distillates. (But I KNOW the older power steering fluid was mineral oil only, I had to rebuild the steering rack on my '78 Audi 5000 due to the wrong fluid.)

ANYWAY... read more here: http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_f...rsteeringfluid

Old 12-15-2009, 07:57 AM
2nd Gear

Check your inner fender liners. They can come loose from the undertray and rub a tire whem cranked hard to one direction or the other.

And, C5 power steering fluid is mineral oil based. In fact, you can use straight mineral oil to top off your system.

Bob

Old 12-17-2009, 11:47 PM

I had the same problem from the right side. Have your wheel bearings checked out. Mine went dry and weng bad, but I didn't have it checked out until they became really bad and had to replace the hub as well (close to $400 job). Started out as an intermittent grinding noise like brakes rubbing on disc whenever I turned wheel sharply, then progressed to humming noise.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

Hi all,

It happened again tonight. Noise was a loud humming, with some steering wheel vibration, coming from the front center of the car. I was going slow in a parking lot. I turned the wheel a couple of times, reversed a bit then it went away and the car is now quiet as a mouse. Been doing it about once a week lately, it varies. I have checked the steering wheel fluid level, it is right on the middle line so that’s not the problem. It was a bit chilly tonight but it has been outside in -40C before and no noise. I have to take it in soon for it 85,000km maintenance and would like them to check it out but the chances of it humming when I bring it in is very low. Could it be bubbles stuck in the steering system? Should I request that they flush the power steering system just in case? Is flushing it a pretty simple thing to have done?

Thanks guys,

Frizzlefry

Old 03-18-2010, 02:01 PM

I had the same problem on the right side, then about 20K miles later on the left. Have your wheel bearings checked out, I'm sure that is the problem. Starts out as a humming noise when turning, then will progress to a grinding noise with some wheel vibration. The vibration will get progressively worse as will the noise when you are turning. Just got the left side bearing repplaced on mine and the noise/vibration is all gone!