Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing DTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:23 AM
1st Gear
Default Installing DTS

Has anyone installed AWE's DTS (themselves). I tried and ran into a little debacle. I was trying to bolt up the aluminum block and mount to the trans. bossess (Step 4) and realized that the mount I was trying to secure had to be bolted to the aluminum block and the trans w/ the same bolts.

Humm! One bolt two separate sets of threads. I am not a mechanic by any means although, I do consider myself educated and mechanical inclined and I am pretty darn good at reading and interpreting directions, after all I have successfully made it through two years of Law School. I figured if I am installing a drive train STABILIZER that it would make sense to have it secure and not loose. After all it’s called a stabilizer. How do you tighten a bolt when going through two separate and independent sets of threads???

So, long story short the bolt broke off inside the trans and the aluminum block is just dangling there. I'll have to try to drill out the bolt or get out the air saw and hack off the bolt and bag this thing.

My question is: Can I drive the car to the shop if I feel I cannot continue w/ the install WITHOUT the OEM trans brace I removed? How critical is the brace and bolts I removed?
Step 4: F'd me up big time!

http://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/DTS_install.pdf

Any input is appreciated. Thanks, I know I F'd up.

Last edited by Coors; 09-13-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear

Call AWE they should be glad to help

Old 09-13-2008, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

Update

Install complete. FYI: if anyone plans to install it themselves, it is mandatory that you use an 8mm x 1.25 tap on the trans bosses. That must have been the problem. Even though the holes/threads visually looked clear, they were not.

Spray some penetrating lube (i.e. pb blaster, wd 40, etc) onto the threads and run the tap in till it bottoms out, then back it out.

Product review: Love it! Performs as described. Shifting is very smooth, no more thumping when letting off the throttle and getting back on it. No unruley vibration or otherwise disruptive behavior. Deff. recommened it.