Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interior lights not coming on and cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:29 AM
1st Gear
Default interior lights not coming on and cruise control

I am having issues with my lights not coming on in my car when the front drivers side door and the rear right passengers side door is open. Whenever the other doors are open the lights come on...
I checked the fuse pulled the door panels off checked the wires, the doors do not display on my LCD, the foot wells and door lights do not come on. Only the front passenger and the rear left passenger and trunk both display as open when i have them open...

I've been told it could of been multiple things, I just need a straight answer so i wont be spending too and fixing something that's already fixed...

my other issue is my cruise control. It works down at almost sea level but doesn't work in the mountains. I hear the cruise ECU clicking to engage but there is nothing. but when im down at sea level it works every now and then. any idea? thanks guys!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:07 AM
2nd Gear

There is a switch inside the latching mechanism for each door that tells the car whether the door is open or not. A lot of people have a problem with these and have your exact same problem (my wife's passenger side front and back have this problem). Unfortunately, there is not a cheap and easy fix and you have to tear apart the car to get to the latch and then tear apart the latch to get to the switch. I would not recommend it to a beginner, but if you are feeling ambitious check out this link: http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=15013077

The cruise control is something I am very personally familiar with and I believe I have helped the community with fixing this problem. The bottom line is that there may be some capacitors that have lost connection which will randomly shut the cruise control off. You can read through my post here for straightforward instructions on how to fix it and you can also check out the large thread here which explains the process more thoroughly. I would like to add a disclaimer that it seems that the cruise control module has changed frequently year to year and some people (usually newer 2000+ years) are not able to apply this fix to their car; I hope your '98 is similar to mine.