Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intermittent oil light ? levels are fine what is wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Default intermittent oil light ? levels are fine what is wrong?

A Red oil can appears in the info center of my 2003 A6 3.0 Quat. it comes on only at speeds below 70 kms/hr., however it beeps and flashes so obviously I checked the oil as the info station suggests (in dash suggestions with warning)... oil level seems fine however it keeps coming on at low speed. Are there common problems with this description and this model and year etc..??

thanks so much for the help...

Old 05-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Site Moderator

The red oil can means pressure. Stop driving it and tow it to a shop. Have them check the oil pressure if thats ok, then replace the oil pressure sensor located on the oil cooler.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:11 PM

thanks so much... if it is the pressure sensor do you know what the repair bill might be on that? and if not would it be an oil pump perhaps???

Old 05-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Site Moderator

Well if there is no pressure its probably the oil pump, or you used a crap bag oil filter without a bypass valve if it cloggs. (Fram, penzoil etc.)
You will be paying 1 hour for diagnosis (whatever the shop rate is)
and how much the part costs and installation. The sensor is around $40 and it only takes about a half hour of labor to install that. So i would say a total of about $200 if its the sensor. If it has a bad oil pump considerably more, however oil pumps hardly ever go bad on these cars. I would just throw on another oil filter just to be safe. MANN, Mahle, Mobil 1, K&N, or WIX filter. How long has it been since you changed the oil? What type of oil do you use?

EDIT: NAPA gold filters are also high quality filters.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:54 PM

Good to hear the oil pumps rarely go...

And as for the oil filter and oil it has been what ever they are throwing in at the dealership... however thus is the reason i'm thinking more and more about doing my own work where ever i am able...

I found a good shop with an ex dealer mech. so he is usually a straight shooter but I wanted to get some opinions first... and you are awsome I really appreciate it..

Old 05-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Site Moderator

The dealer uses a MANN or Mahle filter, so that won't be the problem. Basically if you look at the filter it should be black with white lettering on it.
The sensors are pretty common on the 2.8L and 2.7T, but not so much on the 3.0L. So it would be interesting to see what your oil pressure numbers are.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:12 PM

ya the filter is black with white lettering. And I really hope the problem is a sensor not something more. I'll update as soon as I know.