Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue I've had for awhile...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:13 AM
1st Gear
Default Issue I've had for awhile...

Well I've been having some weird sound coming out of my engine. It's a bit difficult to describe it, so I will do my best. It sounds like a TRUCK DRIVING. Like a lot of power is needed for the car to move. Sort of like a blower is blowing while the engine is moving the car. I brought it to a local machanic and he ran all the tests on the engine, and turbos, he said there was no issues from the tests. But what could it be? A messed up hose? Or something? This sound REALLY IRRATES me. Any suggestions would be nice.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:39 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Issue I've had for awhile...

if its a 6 speed and its more or a loud fan noise...1st gear has a fan that comes on....sounds like a mack truck...might do it in 2nd also...perfectly normal

Old 05-30-2007, 11:30 AM
1st Gear

My car is automatic. The sound is normal? It's very annoying, I dunno why it would be a standard sound.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:41 AM

is it time for a fluid/filter change in the tranny? the noise isn't normal it should be smooth

Old 05-30-2007, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

I havent got the filter/fluid changed in my TRANNY yet, do you think I should? And by doing this, will it stop this annoying sound?

Old 05-30-2007, 11:56 AM
3rd Gear

Sounds to me like the fan clutch. This is normal, Audi, BMW and most trucks and probably a lot more use them to cool the condensor when the A/C is on( or maybe when the car is just hot). If the sound, sounds like a truck or SUV taking off for the first time on a hot summer day then that is your fan clutch and is competely normal. That whooosh sound, like a loud massive fan. Our A/C systems have two fans, and electric one (heard while in the drive through) and a viscous clutch one, heard while talking off from stoplights or going down the highway (sometimes).

Jeff

Old 05-30-2007, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

So this is a normal sound? You pretty much described my sound perfectly. Do I need a new clutch fan, or this is how it will always be? I just am a bit annoyed at the sound personally.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:03 PM

^ very possible my lexus ls 400 does the same because its a viscous fan and on start up its like a rocket with boost but dosnt detract from the power issue so I going for a tranny filter and flush because its an automatic

Old 05-30-2007, 12:17 PM
3rd Gear

Some cars feel the power loss more than others. When my clutch fan engages on my Audi I can feel the power loss. On my work van, when that fan turns on, it’s like someone is holding the van back. Co-workers have often thought something was very wrong with the van and start pulling over. On my 2.8l I can feel the loss of power, the clutch fans draw a lot of horse power compared to an electric fan. Many bmw enthusiasts remove their fan clutches and replace them with an electric fan so they don't lose that valuable horsepower on hot summer days. Bigger engines of course don't feel the fan nearly as much as the smaller ones do.

Jeff

Old 05-30-2007, 12:24 PM

im thinking of the same to my lex and it should reduce the MPG but im also considering the heritage of the car and the value if I did that ( classic value only ) so it has to be as it was made and mods not allowed

Quick Reply: Issue I've had for awhile...