Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jerking and Sucking

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Jerking and Sucking

For the last several months, occasionally about once or twice a month when I start the car and put it in reverse the car jerks while I back up. When this would happen I would put it in neutral or drive and it would stop. Only did it when I was backing up. I thought maybe something with the brakes.
Last night it happened. It continued in drive. The revs were fluctuating about 2000. Felt like the car was going to stall at idle. I checked under the hood and heard a sucking or blowing noise from the engine on the drivers side. It was dark and I couldn't see were it was coming from.
Turned the car off and now it's gone. No codes, running fine.
Any guidance gurus?

Old 02-02-2010, 08:50 PM
3rd Gear

Interesting, with a 3.0 engine. Does this happen only after you start the car or after it has been driven for a while (i.e., warmed up)? My rotors usually rust if the car is parked after driving in wet conditions, and the car will seem to grind and grab a little until the pads scrape off the rust. But if this jerk/suck happens after you have driven a while and used the brakes, I doubt it is the brakes.

Are you sure there are no codes, or just no CEL? It might be worthwhile to visit Autozone and get a free scan.

Lastly, the noise you heard from the driver's side -- could it have been the electric fan?

You didn't give much to go on. Can you describe more about the conditions under which the problem occurs.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

The jerking in reverse has only occured after the car is started. Mostly cold it seems but it has happened after the car was driven & turned off for an 30 minutes or so. Last night we were in a store for about an hour when it happened.
I no longer think its the brakes. Its something going on with the engine. It was running so rough last night that when I would come to a stop, I would shift to neutral and give it some gas thinking it would stall.
I have an OBD II and it shows no codes.
I thought the sucking noise sounded like a hose leaking. Not constant, at intervals of less than a second. Kind of in time with the engine.
We haven't used the car today but I have started it a few time and shifted to reverse to see if it would do it again. The car seems fine. It's my wife car. I hate for her to drive into Austin and get stuck.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:13 AM
3rd Gear

You can also check your vacuum lines and listen close to the EGR/Kombi/Secondary Air Injection Valve. Maybe the gasket rusted out and you have a sizeable leak. A vacuum leak would make your engine run like crap.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Site Moderator

Maybe my mind is in the gutter, but that thread title sounds a little dirty...

Old 02-03-2010, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

Your mind is in the gutter auditech79 and I was hoping the headline would get some attention.
How was the car running so bad with a leaking/sucking sound and now the car runs fine?
I just listened closely and can't hear any air.
The sucking sound seemed to come from that shiny 2 inch cylinder on the top drivers side. Is that part of the fuel injector?
Not to muddy the water but about every 6 months the car with throw a P0741 torque converter code. Again the car is running fine, I erase the code and it doesn't come back for months.
Fuel consuption is about 19 mpg average.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 AM
2nd Gear

The shiny two inch cylinder is part of the pollution control system. It pumps air into the exhaust to give the cats excess oxygen to burn off the excess fuel from a cold engine. It only runs when the engine is cold. It isn't your problem.

When you start your car, do you always put it in reverse first? And, if I read the above correctly, it only does it when cold? I would suspect the transmission. First, you are getting the occasional code. Second, the engine doesn't know what gear you are using. Third, it only happens during a cold start. I would check your fluid level first of all then recommend a fluid and filter change. I would filter the old fluid through a cloth and look for pieces of metal. I would smell the old fluid for a burning smell. If either of these exist, I would break the bad news to you - you need a transmission rebuild.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 AM
1st Gear

I've only noticed the jerking in reverse after starting the car & pulling out of a parking place. It's usually from a cold start but sometimes after being stopped for 30 - 60 minutes. Tranny history: 8-24-06, 73K tranny overhaul, replaced torque converter, 1-16-09 114K replaced tranny fluid & filter (no metal), 5-28-08 101K checked tranny fluid. If it is the tranny, what was the sucking noise coming from the engine that was in time with the rough running engine?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:11 AM
1st Gear

Could this have something to do with the throttle body or air mass sensor?

Old 03-04-2010, 05:21 PM

i have a similiar issue the car jerks in reverse until i hit it hard than it will go. but its jumpy and when in drive after like 5 minutes of driving car goes into limp mode. the check engine light is on i checked and it says the torque converter is stuck open. does anyone know any suggestions wat it could be a couple of people told me it could be the differential and someone else suggested the selenoids need to be changed oh and also the screen tells me check transmission fluid when in limp mode but i dont know how to check it??

Quick Reply: Jerking and Sucking