Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a 2004 A6 2.7t

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Default Just got a 2004 A6 2.7t

Hi all,

First post here, just wanted some advice. Just got back from Iraq and picked up a 2004 A6 2.7t with the Premium and Cold Weather packages. Loving the car so far, but there are a couple things that I'm wanting to ask about.

1) The turn indicator click thing stopped working. I don't really know what to call it, but it's the part that actually makes the lights blink instead of just staying solidly lit up. They still flash when I'm in hazard mode, but the turn indicators themselves just turn on a solid yellow light at this point. I'm manually blinking them right now, but that is an imperfect solution

2) I am currently sitting at 83,000 miles, and I have to drive this car back to Alaska. Am I in serious danger of having the timing belt go out? Near as I can tell, the prior owner(single owner) had the maintenance done at the right intervals, so I'm not even positive that this is the original t-belt. Assuming it was, however, should I be okay for this drive home? I assume the 2004 would have a longer life than other cars of this series, being that it was the last year of the body style and I'd hope it would've been perfected at that point

I think those are my only questions at this point.

Thanks for any help!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

check your bulbs for the turn signal not sure exact spot to find the flasher , I just changed timing belt on a 2000 2.7t with 100,000 miles belt looked good and all pulleys where in good shape but you just don't know when there going to go, I would wait for it to turn 100,000 but that's me.If you plan on doing it yourself go with blauparts,they are the best $345.00 for everything your going to need includes free thermostat v belt bolts for crank pulley and free oil filter, even had 2 liters of antifreeze left over.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:09 PM
1st Gear

Congrats on the new car!
I also own a 2.7t and its not exactly a low-mantenince car, but if you give it love it will return the favor. As for the timing belt, some people have replaced it before 80k miles, some after, just depends on the car and driver. If it needs to be replaced i think it should become apparant to you. I think there is someone somewhere on this site thatll do a free carfax lookup for you, you should look into that to make sure.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:30 AM
1st Gear

T-belt interval on a 2002+ A6 was 75,000, personaly if you are not sure I would try and get in touch with the owner and see if it was changed, if you can not do that see if the service records tell you where it was services and try and see if they know if it was changed.

As a last resort given that you are 10,000 over the interval it may be worth changing it just to be on the safe side. I know its a $2000 job but a new engine would be more.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:10 PM
2nd Gear

75k miles is a good mileage to do the TB service at. DId mine at 70 since I am modded and didn't want surprises...
Doesn't hae to be 2k though, you can find an Indy shop that will do it for much less. ee if someone on here is in your area and can recommend a shop.
Some people will tell you thye waited 100k miles or whatever but I would rather err ont he side of caution and avoid a nightmare. I would it now if I were you if you can't get in touch with the owner or find records.
Go to the local Audi dealer and give them yuor VIN, if the service was done at an Audi dealer, they'll be able to tell you and even print all the service/repait history for your car that was perfotrmed at an Audi dealer

Last edited by formulagigi; 08-10-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Reversed 75
Old 08-07-2009, 06:19 PM
3rd Gear

Owner's manual calls for TB replacement at 105k but because of all the forum recommendations I changed mine at 88k. I have a friend with a 2001 S4 and he's at 121k with the original TB, but he's a bit of an idiot. So the answer is you will probably be ok putting another 2-3k on the car but there is always the risk of the belt slipping or breaking, with pistons and valves intersecting. Agree with the Blauparts kit -- between that and a good indie shop it should cost around $1000-1200. PS - I'm already looking forward to my second TB change since I have 142k on my A6.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I'm going to go ahead and drive home before I get the TB replaced. Once I'm back in Alaska, I'll be at my Dad's house and he and I can do the swap ourselves, since he used to build cars back in the day.

I'll pop into the CarFax thread and see what is on my car's Carfax, and I'll also definitely be popping in to the local Audi dealership to see if they can look up my service records, and also tell me what, if any, recalls I need to get done.