Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Key Fob Do I Need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 02:21 PM
1st Gear
Question Which Key Fob Do I Need?

Hi Folks!

I'm quite new here and this is my first post, so please bear with me if I leave any pertinent info out...

I recently purchased a '98 A6 Quattro with the 30v 2.8 V6. The previous owner only had one key and no key fob. I've looked around the interwebs trying to determine which key fob to order as I've read that the numbers (something similar to 4D0 837 231 E) need to match from the original key fob or it will not work. Is there anyway to tell which key fob number I need or do I have to go to my local stealership? Also, if I do order a key fob with a blank key blade, how much can I expect to pay for having that key cut? Any help is appreciated!

Cheers!

P.S. From what I've read '98 cars are pre immobilizer chip keys, right?

Last edited by borrisized; 03-26-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

Welcome to the forum -
Yes, it's very important to get the right fob. as there are many different ones and only a few work across more than one group of vehicles.
Yes, you should be pre-immobilizer, which makes things much easier. I have bought mine in the past from these folks:
AUDI REMOTE FLIP KEY KEYLESS ENTRY FOB TRANSMITTER | eBay
You should call the number on the page - they will check on the exact one for your car. They are a little more expensive than some others on e-bay, but they are brand new and come with a warranty.
Then search through the archives here to find the posts on how to set up the remote to work with the car.
Jim

Old 03-26-2012, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice, Jim!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

I have the same car and had the same situation, only one key when I got the car. I did buy a used key fob on ebay and also a blank key blade on ebay. the dealership said they would not cut the key because they didn't sell me the key blade and they had had issues in the past with the blank key blades not working in the cutting machines. perhaps you could find a genuine key blade and then a dealership would be able to cut it for you. My first try was a local locksmith and he was unsuccessful in cutting the key, he just wrecked the blank I had. Ended up going to a dealership to get the key cut correctly. Best of luck.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:15 PM
1st Gear

You can also take your current key apart, as if you were going to change the batteries on it and there should be a part number of the key fob. it slides apart, you can use a small flat head screw driver to help pry the 2 haves apart, there is a small indentation on the side with the audi symbol in the middle.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:46 PM
1st Gear

Most dealerships will not cut anything except their own OEM factory blanks, because there are a lot of cheap aftermarket blanks around which are made of hard steel, and they will actually break the dealership's computerized cutter. There are some aftermarket sellers who also get OEM blanks, and many locksmiths will cut those for you. But every dealer I've ever asked flat refuses to cut a blank they didn't provide.
Maybe I was just lucky with the locksmith I used, but then he specializes in automotive keys.
Jim

Old 03-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Former Sponsor

eejimm is correct, the aftermarket metal key blanks are made of a different metal. This usually results in a bad cut key from the cutting machine. It must create too much vibration and the cutting bit chatters too much. Some dealers will cut a non OEM blank but will not guarantee it to fit, plus charge about 30.00 dollars to cut the key.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

I called folks that Jim recomended for a new key fob, but they said I need to have my FCC ID number in order to ensure I got the correct fob. I found a number printed on my security sticker (4D0 010 138 E) but my google and eBay results turn up nothing but more dead ends.

So I'm left wondering does anyone have the FCC ID for a '98 A6 quattro? Are there several different ID's? Will this require me to visit the dealer and pay for my FCC ID?

Any help would be huge.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

Have you taken your current key apart and gotten the numbers off of it there?

Old 04-11-2012, 02:16 PM
1st Gear