Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob Synch - One Key Only

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Key Fob Synch - One Key Only

The batteries on my key fob died. I put two new ones in but that does not work. I found procedures to reset using two keys, but I only have one. Can someone help ?

Thanks...
...Mike

Old 05-28-2011, 11:34 AM
1st Gear
Default Well - it Works !

So, this AM it still did not work. It does now! Here's my unscientific and anecdotal account of what happened.

I went out this AM to go for a drive.. The fob buttons would not unlock the car. I put the key in the key slot, opened the door, and started it up. During my drive to the grocery store, I pressed some of the buttons on the key fob. When I got to the store, I locked the car up mechanically with the key. When I came out of the store, I unlocked it mechanically. I'm not sure if I locked it or not when I got home. A few minutes ago, I went to get something out of the trunk. Force of habit, I pushed the key fob buttons. The key fob worked!

Hope this helps someone else - YMMV - Good Luck - ...Mike

Last edited by michaelm; 05-28-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

Last time I deprogrammed my key I was waiting on someone to return my vag-com when a friend showed me you only need one key to program the fob. He wasnt sure of the exact procedure but it involved unlocking the ds door, then pressing the button, then locking it again, or something along those lines. It only took a few minutes of fiddling to get it synced up. Easiest method by far is still the vag-com. I think you can even sync keys in the free version but dont quote me.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:53 AM
1st Gear

just bought an 2007 A6 Quattro. It only came with one remote key. I found keys on the net much cheaper than the dealer. But can anyone help with programming and cutting?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:14 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by golfgnut
just bought an 2007 A6 Quattro. It only came with one remote key. I found keys on the net much cheaper than the dealer. But can anyone help with programming and cutting?
The short answer is no. you can have the key cut at a lock smith if you would like a spare in case you lock your other key in the car, but it will not start the car. You have an emobilizer chip on that key a dealer only item. Just got 2 keys at my local dealer for a 2007 its going to be around $130.00.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:59 PM
1st Gear

I had a similar problem on my 2001 2.7T after changing the batteries...you dont need 2 keys...simply approach the locked car, turn the ke to lock, while holding it there press the lock button then turn to the unlock side and do the same with the unlock button then take the key out and test out the results...may have it backwards but at the end of the day it worked

Old 06-08-2013, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2000 A6 and i just put new batteries in my keys and did this exact procedure and it worked just fine for me, I counted one-onethousand for the seconds....

you have to synchronize it with the car;

1. Switch Ignition ON and leave the key in the ignition.

2. Mechanically lock the vehicle using the Drivers door using a second key.

3. Using the remote control press the Unlock button once, and the horn will sound once.

4. Wait 6 seconds and press the unlock button once to activate the coding procedure. The remote control will now be programmed.

NOTE : When performing programming on additional remotes the procedure is the same, except you press the unlock button 2, 3 or 4 times for the different remote.

For example : If programming 2 remotes press the unlock button twice with a 1 second interval between each press, repeat for 3 and 4 remotes.

5. Switch Ignition OFF.

6. Remove key from ignition and check for operation.

7. The coding procedure can be repeated up to 4 times for additional remotes.

8. The ignition must be switched OFF between programming each remote control.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

I have a 03 Audi A6 with a strange problem. It will only crank over every 5th turn of the key. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Old 07-17-2016, 08:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by westend
I have a 03 Audi A6 with a strange problem. It will only crank over every 5th turn of the key. Has anyone ever heard of this?
Do you see a red light blinking on the dash somewhere?

Also..

Steps to reprogram keys to a car they are already linked to:
1. Press and hold the unlock key on a remote
2. Insert key in ignition and turn to on (while still holding unlock)
3. Hold unlock while in the on position for 2 seconds
4. Turn key to off, remove from ignition and release button.

Do this for each remote. Relink to seat positions (press and hold mem position #, then unlock button for 2 seconds and release both) and done.

To program new remotes on a car never linked to previously:

1. Take a key (valet key works best, put it into the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position, so the dashboard lights come on.
2. Roll down the driver's side window (not required, but a good idea in case there's a problem).
3. Exit the car and close the door.
4. With a second key, physically lock the doors by turning the key clockwise (don't use a remote).
5. Take the first remote to be programmed, press the unlock button. The lights will flash once.
6. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. That first transmitter is now programmed.

***If you have only one key skip to step 16. Otherwise continue to step 7.***

7. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote) by turning clockwise.
8. Press the unlock button two times with a one second interval in between, the lights will flash with each button press for a total of two flashes.
9. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The second transmitter is now programmed.

***If you have three keys proceed to step 10. Otherwise skip to step 16.***

10. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote) by turning clockwise.
11. Press the unlock button three times with a one second interval in between, the lights will flash with each button press for a total of three flashes.
12. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The third transmitter is now programmed.

***If you have four keys proceed to step 13. Otherwise skip to step 16.***

13. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote) by turning clockwise.
14. Press the unlock button four times with a one second interval in between, the lights will flash with each button press for a total of four flashes.
15. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The fourth transmitter is now programmed.

16. Remove the key from the ignition.

Make sure that to test the newly program remotes, the original key is removed from the ignition since this exits the programming process. Someone might be a bit frustrated trying to test it with it still in 'program' mode.

I had some diffuculty accessing the programming mode. If it doesnt work then take the key out of the ignition and start over. Rinse lather repeat. It will go eventually.

If you are still having problems after trying it more times than you can count, check the key is right one for year of car or that the key and battery are good.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:01 PM

how do I reprogram my fob after changing the battery?