Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key won't turn

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Default key won't turn

I am still driving the Audi A6 Avant that I purchased new in 2000. (Model year 2001).

Anyway, at 107K Miles the care and feeding required has been a little heavy lately but the ride and comfort is still pretty nice. Tonight however I have new problem regarding the key/ignition: None of the keys will turn. I have tried them all. (2 key fobs, mechanics/valet key)

Earlier today I switched key fobs since the one I was using no longer would lock/unlock the doors (I assume the battery needs a swap). I used the other key fob and it worked fine and drove to a restaurant. After the meal, I had difficulty but managed to get the key to turn so I made it home. After that I have not been able to get any key to turn.

I have done some searching but not seen many references to this type of problem.

Any Advice?

Dale

Old 02-08-2009, 02:55 AM
3rd Gear

One thing you can try to do is unlock/lock the doors with the battery disconnected.
If they still work - which they should since are your original keys - then maybe you need to reprogram them. Perhaps the security codes of the keys and the control unit in the car lost their synchronization.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I played with it a bit this morning. I can manage to get it accept the key and turn if I work at it so it appears to be a mechanical problem.

Now I do have a check engine light so I am guessing the problems must of thrown a code.

Would a faulty ignition switch be a good guess as to the problem? Are there any anti theft security issues that would prevent my independent mechanic from taking care of this type of problem?

Dale in Mpls.
2001 A6 Audi AVant 2.8L

Old 05-03-2017, 04:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Same issue audi a4

Originally Posted by dalewest
Thanks for the feedback. I played with it a bit this morning. I can manage to get it accept the key and turn if I work at it so it appears to be a mechanical problem.

Now I do have a check engine light so I am guessing the problems must of thrown a code.

Would a faulty ignition switch be a good guess as to the problem? Are there any anti theft security issues that would prevent my independent mechanic from taking care of this type of problem?

Dale in Mpls.
2001 A6 Audi AVant 2.8L

I am having the same issue were u ever able to find the problem, I knw this is old but I can't seem to find any answers and I'm trying to avoid going to the dealer