Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless entry remote question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:07 AM
1st Gear

so u can lose 3 of them before u panic lol, bc if u lose 3...thats just bad

Old 09-17-2008, 11:03 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the reply and all the informations are very helpful!

I called the my local audi dealer yesterday and they told me that they cannot even cut the key. They said they can program a remote for me but cannot cut the blade. They need order the cutted key blade from Audi directly. Are they gave me the correct information?

And also, the dealer very nicely tell me the part number of my key is 4D0 837 231 P. He only asked me about the year and model of my audi, didn't ask my VIN#. Is that mean there are same part number given the same year/model audi?

Glad to know that 4D0 837 231 P and E are interchangeable. I will try to find 4D0 837 231 E then since I cannot find P

Thanks all!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:38 AM

I bought my car with one remote key. I need to buy a blank, ( can do that on EBAY) then have it cut locally in Florida somewhere? Then I still have to have it immobilized?
Audi wants $135 to do the "immobilizing". Is there any way around that??

Old 09-17-2008, 11:43 AM
1st Gear

they dont need ur vin # for a keypad bc they just program the key to send the certain signal to ur car, thats why if u park at the mall, someone can be hitting the unlock button on their pad, but it can make someone elses car alarm go off (happened to my friend) its bc what 1 frequency or signal for ur keypad is, could be the lock, or panic button to someone elses car, although this very rarely happens, it is possible

Old 09-17-2008, 08:12 PM

I guess I'd like to know where you can get these blades cut as well since I don't like giving a dime to Audi. I like spending my money wisely instead of getting butt raped through my bank account i.e. going through dealerships

Old 09-18-2008, 12:03 AM
3rd Gear

My local Audi dealer has cut two keys for me on the spot. The first cost 11.00 US dollars and was just a generic key I bought from them as a spare. The second was an OEM remote fob I bought from a guy off the classifieds on Audiforums.com and they cut that blade for 8.00 US dollars.

So I guess some dealers are able to cut keys on the spot and some can't. Seems odd that the dealer could not cut a key.

DO NOT BUY CHEAP EBAY blades, my local dealer will not cut them. They said they are made with inferior metal and they will not risk damaging their equipment cutting it. Very well could be BS but before I would go buying a cheap blade off ebay, I would make sure someone locally is willing to cut it for you.

Jeff

Old 09-18-2008, 12:06 AM
1st Gear

having several keys is pretty cool for a family, since you can set each key to the seat memory. so for example, when the wife opens the car with her key fob, the mirrors, chairs and steering wheel (if you have that option) go to their program settings.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:19 AM
1st Gear

also, did anyone get the notice for the class action law suit against audi and VW for this problem?? basically they're being sued since you cannot have the keys cut at any place other than the dealership... it infringes on some kind of consumer rights. look it up!

also here's another class action LS... maybe get a few bucks if you sign up.

http://www.volkswagen-classaction.com/

Old 09-18-2008, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

yesterday, I went to a big local locksmith to copy a regular key for my Audi A6. The guy in the shop told me, first they don't have those kind of blank key, second they cannot copy a key with chip inside. If I purchase an uncuted blade from some other sources, they can cut it for $55 and that key can be used to open the door only.

So costy to make a backup key!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:54 PM
2nd Gear
Wink

I bought some uncut blades on eBay and had a local locksmith cut them for me. I also bought separately a keyfob on eBay and installed one of the new keys I just had made and I can use that to lock/unlock doors and start the engine. I have tried really hard yet to see if I could program the fob... Patience...

Quick Reply: Keyless entry remote question