Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KO4's With a Chip= how much HP?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 02:05 PM
1st Gear
Question KO4's With a Chip= how much HP?

This is a reinforcement question first, everything else is second.

A chip will give you 318hp, I don't know how much the KO4's will give you. My question is: Dose anyone know the max hp (or around) that the 2.7t can handel befor the transmission or engine blows? When adding HP, something has to be reinforced. I'm getting a engine and transmission chip within 2 month and would like to know what I'm getting myself into befor I have it done or if its ever worth it at all.

P.S. The KO4's are down the road, but the reinforcement can start now (I already know about the turbo boot)

Last edited by Mathermaticz; 03-28-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

That is exactly what i wanna do with mine i also have a 2004 s-line, and i wanna know he limit cause im not trying to have my tranny blow right away lol. i hope someone responds and lets us know ASAP!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:41 AM
1st Gear

i'm going ko4 on my 04 s-line when i do the heads as well. i have a friend who can flash my ecu with my prefered mapping.

both you guys have automatic trans? Was the s-line ever sold in any year but the 2004 with tiptronic automatic?

I'm aiming for 300-310 wheel. no need to make a race car out of a solid sedan. auto is good for 400 crank HP i hear. anymore will eat it. lasts slightly longer with the TCU programmed for shorter shift intervals. 1 second is typical OEM shift delay. 2/10ths second is possible with the "chip" that can be bought for the TCU.

Last edited by TurboA6S; 03-29-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Administrator

The K04s are mostly transparent at stock boost and with no mods. With a chip, I could see the K04s putting out a little more power than the K03s. You'd need the breathing, fueling, and intercooling mods of a stage 3 build to fully take advantage of the K04s.

I was told by an S4 friend that the tip trans starts to die at the power levels of a stage 2 car (chip, intake, exhaust, maybe IC upgrade, and DVs), and that beefing it up would be necessary to even run at that power level. Last, check the S4 upgrade guide in the S-line car subforum for a walk-through on the path to nodding a 2.7T.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
The K04s are mostly transparent at stock boost and with no mods. With a chip, I could see the K04s putting out a little more power than the K03s. You'd need the breathing, fueling, and intercooling mods of a stage 3 build to fully take advantage of the K04s.

I was told by an S4 friend that the tip trans starts to die at the power levels of a stage 2 car (chip, intake, exhaust, maybe IC upgrade, and DVs), and that beefing it up would be necessary to even run at that power level. Last, check the S4 upgrade guide in the S-line car subforum for a walk-through on the path to nodding a 2.7T.

Question again: "breathing, fueling, and intercooling mods of a stage 3 build to fully take advantage of the K04s"

So basically, if i'm not doing all these mods then the ko4's won't be worth it?....I wasn't planing on doing all that.

I have a intake, DV's and just magnaflows, not the full exhaust. Do you know what can be done to reinforce a tip transmission? I was planning on getting a transmission chip so it would make since to reinforce it befor the chip. I had a transmission cooler on my Infiniti I30, I'm gonna do the same for the Audi.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TurboA6S
i'm going ko4 on my 04 s-line when i do the heads as well. i have a friend who can flash my ecu with my prefered mapping.

both you guys have automatic trans? Was the s-line ever sold in any year but the 2004 with tiptronic automatic?

I'm aiming for 300-310 wheel. no need to make a race car out of a solid sedan. auto is good for 400 crank HP i hear. anymore will eat it. lasts slightly longer with the TCU programmed for shorter shift intervals. 1 second is typical OEM shift delay. 2/10ths second is possible with the "chip" that can be bought for the TCU.
The S-Line's was only for 2004, they only came in a Tip, and has 265 hp. They said the only 2.7 for 2004 were S-Line's, but I've seen some 2.7's on auto trader that wasn't S-Line's, so I think the S-Line's were only made half the year.

After reading some post, I'm just getting the 2 chips.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:32 PM
3rd Gear

I have the MT6, but from everything I read I do not think there is anything you can do to beef up the tip. I have not seen a heavy duty torque converter option. Fresh fluid and a chip may help, but big hp can break it anyway.

As far as K04s, my limited investigation has come up with kits at ecstuning and awe for about $3k. That includes K04s and fuel injection changes. I think intake manifolds, larger intercoolers, and a larger fuel pump are all extra. Since I have an AWE chip, I am leaning in that direction when the time comes since AWE will re-flash my chip for the K04s for free.

At 188k, I wonder why I would pay $5-6k to upgrade my A6 to a stage 2 or 2+. I guess...because I can. I have no intentions try and make it a quarter-mile car (it's too heavy) or race it, but it would be nice to restore the power it had, plus a little more, from when it was first chipped. I'm hoping these few mods will get it to ~350 hp. Is that reasonable?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Without doing any other mods, K04s wouldn't be worth it unless you got a good deal on them to replace a pair of smoked K03s. You could get the K04 chip (the basic one, not the stage 3 chip) and I think you'd be ok, but you'd need to check with the tuning company or the S4 guys here first.

The tip transmission would have to be fortified and the only provider for this that I've seen is Level10. It's expensive but I've known them to have an excellent reputation for quality and durability both in the VAG car's and in my former automotive life in the 300ZX world. Someone was detailing their build and mentioned a Level10 transmission costing $4485 or something similar. Gotta pay to play I guess. Contact them for the most accurate pricing of course.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

I've been getting good responces...thank you. I'm just gonna do the engine and transmission chip and a transmission cooler then call it a wrap. The websites dont give prices. I heard like $400 each, is that true?

Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 AM
Administrator

Somewhere around there. I think APR is doing a sale on theirs (www.goapr.com). Check with them and see. Don't forget that you need a pair of aftermarket diverter valves once you chip the car, since the OEM DVs can't hold the boost from an upgraded ECU.

Quick Reply: KO4's With a Chip= how much HP?