Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking oil and blowing thick blue smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:28 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Leaking oil and blowing thick blue smoke

I have a 2002 A6 Quattro and it was running perfect until today. It sat for about 2 weeks in the cold until today when my husband tried to take it to work. He didn't let the car warm up at all and now it's leaking oil and blowing out thick blue smoke when I give it gas. Please ANYBODY who might have some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I need to try and fix this problem before my new baby comes and I don't have alot of money to have it fixed at a garage.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:04 AM
2nd Gear

Could you provide more specifics on the oil-leak location?
There are so many sources for leakages on your car (whatever engine, mileage, transmission are there).
Blowing out means exhaust smoke, he?
Do you happen to live in a zone with high humidity in the air?

Old 12-11-2010, 12:17 PM
3rd Gear

By your signature, assume it is a 2.7T. So the first question, is the oil a good synthetic like Mobil1 0W-40? In cold weather it is critical that a lot of oil gets to the turbos before they start spinning, and a 5W or 10W is thicker when cold and will not lubricate as effectively. A blown turbo will pass oil into the cylinder (along with the compressed fuel and air), but I believe it is a relatively small amount and will appear more as light gray rather than dark blue. Also, after warming the car properly, have you taken it out for an extended drive at highway speeds so the oil heats up well and, hopefully, the exhaust clears?? Good luck.

PS - Beat your husband with a broom and tell him any turbo car needs a 2-3 minute warm up in cold weather.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:12 PM
1st Gear

The car is to low to the ground for me to be able to see under good enough to pinpoint the location of the leak. I run synthetic 5W-40 and I have since then tried to let it run to see about driving it in hopes that it would clear out but while the car is warming up it starts to leaking oil again from underneath. No I don't live in a zone with high humidity.

Last edited by MyBiTurbo; 12-15-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

I don't know the BiTurbo, Motor oil recommended to my car are

Castrol Syntec 5W-30

Mobil-1 Synthetic European Formula 0W-40

Old 12-12-2010, 05:21 PM
2nd Gear

Try placing a large piece of cardboard or some newspapers under the car, start it, let it drip a bit, then back the car away from the cardboard, then tell us about where the leak is from. It could be a oil filter has come loose, an oil line has come loose or cracked, a transmission line has come loose, etc. If we can figure out about where in the engine bay the oil is coming from, that will narrow down the posssible problems.