Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LONG TERM STORAGE

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:31 AM
1st Gear
Default LONG TERM STORAGE

Hi, My son went to Europe for 6 month. We are storing his Audi A6 4.2. The deal driving once a week 10 miles. Do we need to add fuel stabilizer or not for a tank? Thx.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:37 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: LONG TERM STORAGE

"We are storing his Audi A6 4.2. The deal driving once a week 10 miles"

i dont understand what you mean? do you mean you are only driving it 10 miles per week?

I would only keep about 1/4 tank of gas in it if your only driving it 10miles per week... that way you replace the gas every 3 weeks or so.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:39 PM
3rd Gear

I stored my Crossfire the last two winters in my garage. I fill the tank (to minimize condensation) and use Sta-Bil. I also add gas line antifreeze to soak up any moisture. I suggest changing the oil/filter before putting her up. Finally, since my garage floor is concrete and concrete is acidic, I fold up some cardboard boxes and park on them to protect the tires. It may make sense to max the air pressure in them as well.

If your battery is old, you may need to put a trickle charger on it for a few hours before starting the vehicle. The electronics will gradually run down even a newer battery unless it has a chance to re-charge.

I do take it out and drive it every 2-4 weeks depending on whether the roads are clear. Usually 5-10 miles in my development since I take insurance off of it for the winter. So there is no way to get to a gas station for a fill-up.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:30 AM
1st Gear

If your not going to drive it add sta-bil fuel stabilizer. If your gonna drive it don't add it. It's only used for long term storage. If you choose to store it buy a trickle charger http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm
and use it. A trickle charger does not charge a battery, it keeps it charged. Great investment.

Gasoline often goes bad because modern fuels are meant for use today and do not store nearly as well as fuels did in the past. Gasoline is extremely perishable because today's fuels are blended with less stable oxygenates such as ethanol, methanol, or methyl tertiary-butyl ether.

Keep the fuel tank as full as possible at all times to minimize the surface area of fuel exposed to oxygen and moisture in air.

I'm not a chemist...I own and maintain a high performance boat. Trust me, I did my homework.