Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at '04 A6 2.7..any good? are they bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:51 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by fabchef
Hi gang, thanks for the replies...this doesn't seem too promising..hahaha
i don't know why but when it comes to audi's i've never had and "positive" comments. I know they are okay, but usually have issues. Most car companies do, but it seems that audi's are on the higher scale of this.
I know that saabs are generally good cars, but might cost on repairs as parts are not built anymore...in this case, audi's come with the hefty price tag,even though parts are still being made.

In this case, i guess the tranny (TC) is the main culprit....i know in my volvo it was the tranny program that screwed up alot of trannies...luckily i got mine (valve body job) done uner warranty if not..over $2000 bananas

and then there's the turbo's ..even if the oil changes where done lets say every 6000km would this help out on their life-span?

thanks
fabs
The turbos are quite strong as long as they see proper warm up procedures and cool downs, no over boosting. There are multiple guys with high miles 200+ with original turbos And chipped.

And yes Volvos have a very high rate failure in their tranny. But this was for the years before 06 I think.

If you can get a manual you can avoid the torque converter issue. The manual can handle ample amount of torque and hp.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:25 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by budhani786
The turbos are quite strong as long as they see proper warm up procedures and cool downs, no over boosting. There are multiple guys with high miles 200+ with original turbos And chipped.

And yes Volvos have a very high rate failure in their tranny. But this was for the years before 06 I think.

If you can get a manual you can avoid the torque converter issue. The manual can handle ample amount of torque and hp.
I'm one of them, 218K miles on the clock, and all original, but it was (very good) dealer cared for all it's life by the PO. On handling, I find the 6-speed makes a difference as well - yes it's a heavy car, but with Quattro and the MT I can throw it around amazingly well, like on twisting mountain roads at stupid-fast speeds (at least going up hill). It will even blow off most sports cars if you wind it out into the 6K rpm range, and it sure surprises people to see a "big solid German sedan" flash past (or around) them...

Do be prepared for the maintenance costs, though. Specialized fluids of all kinds, premium gas, expensive parts (some of which are expected to wear out, like the control arms). Even if you are a DIYer you will be spending money on things like a VAG-COM so you can diagnose the vehicle properly (a real Ross-Tech one is $350 right off the bat.) We often try to convince people here not to buy these cars if they don't know what they are getting into (like as a first car in High School just because they can be had cheap...)

Definitely test drive and decide for yourself. Compared to the Volvos I've driven (starting back in the 760 turbo days) it's a whole different animal.
Jim

Old 09-30-2012, 03:06 PM
1st Gear

Now i'm getting scared..hahaha wow i didn't think it would be that expensive to own. I know that volvo isn't cheap either ($129/hr at dealership)...but i don't think as bad as the audi's.

Why do the turbo's die out so quickly on these engines? I know of volvo turbos going on for a long time..okay they might consume some oil but not to this extreme???
fabs

Old 10-01-2012, 01:03 AM
1st Gear

Turbo problems in the 2.7t seem to have two causes:

First, people don't let the engine warm up properly before they hit the throttle hard, nor do they let the turbos cool off before shutdown if they've been driving hard. This causes premature bearing and seal wear, and can cook the oil in the turbo so it partially blocks lubrication.

Second, if the Diverter Valves fail (and the stock ones will eventually) you get compressor surging when you let off the throttle which shocks the turbo bearings and can cause them to wear prematurely.

Follow proper procedures for warm-up / cool-down and proper maintenance and they will last just fine, like mine (and lots of other owner's ) have.

Not trying to scare you, but I'd rather you make an informed decision. I wouldn't give mine up for anything - most fun driving car I've ever owned, except for my two Maser convertibles, and it's a close third, plus I can drive the A6 in the winter...
Jim

Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 AM
1st Gear

I have an 04 A6 and it is a maintenance *****. 149K on original turbos but Ive replaced all 6 coil packs, timing belt, water pump, etc. and plan to spend $1000 a year minimum. NOw, just had the P0741 DTC light up and looks like Im into a new torque converter. So much for "lifetime" transmissions, Audi. LOVE the car, just can stand the fickle engineering and designed obsolescence.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:00 PM
3rd Gear

206k on original turbos, shocks, even battery. All gauges and pixels work. I plan on spending about $2k/year on maintenance and repairs and it is well worth it for a luxury car, especially with no car payment. With quattro, this thing rides like it is on rails around curves. It can cruise effortlessly at 60-100 mph. With a chip, it moves very well for a two ton car but you won't mistake it for a vette.

On the downside, the headlight washers always leaked so I shut them off (note, I bought the car used at 37k miles). After I chipped it, I had to replace clutch and flywheel. I recently replaced the coil packs under recall and the cats - but I cannot get the cat CEL to go off. I also have a failing SAIU. These effect emissions a little, but not mileage or performance. I do all the necessary and some extra maintenance, like replace the tranny and diffy fluids every 60k. I am on the fence about replacing the shocks since they seem a little soft, but my indie shop tells me they are not leaking and look fine, so I will save myself that $1k for a little longer.

If you want the same luxury but a sportier ride, look at the A4 and S4. Surprisingly, they are within 300 lbs of the A6 but feel a lot smaller (at least the older ones, like my 2003 A4 3.0 MT6).

Old 10-03-2012, 12:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Depends on you!

If you are mechanically inclined and can work on it yourself, many common problems (CCT seals, VC Gaskets, Timing belt, crank case breathers hoses) are easily done. The two turbo's make working underneath the car a nightmare. Torque Converters on the Automatic engines will nearly always fail and require changing due to a crappy internal seal design. I got 130K on the clock w/ original turbo's, when we had the downpipes pulled when I changed the Torque Converter we checked the spools for play and they were solid. Make sure to let it warm up before slamming on it & cool down after driving hard before shutting it off. Oil coking is a huge problem. Use only G12 coolant, good approved synthetic oil, big oil filters & CFH11 p/s fluid & it will save you a lot of problems. W/ any turbo sludge is possible problem, use seafoam before oil changes and never go over 5K miles without changing the oil & sludge will stay away.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:37 AM
1st Gear

I have an Audi A8L. This is a fantastic piece of engineering. I’ve owned an Audi A6 like you described. I is a crazy nice piece of fun. Any Audi is expensive to repair, like Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Bentley, Rolls Royce etc. When you get into these upper end cars they cost. but don’t abuse them and service them regularly and you can’t go wrong. The A6 in my opinion isn’t heavy. It’s a great fun elegant and pleasurable head turner. I loved mine, as i do my A8. By the way 2004 was the last time they used the belt drive. Audi now uses chain drive. My A6 had 300K on it and still ran like a watch. Notice the negatives on the turbo’s. “If you’ve been running it hard let it cool down”. If you want to run that hard get a Camaro or a Shellby. Audi’s are really for the entrapanure type of sophistication.

Last edited by Terry Gentry; 06-17-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

I know this is an old thread...But WOW!! did this forum die since 2012 or what? This guy asked about the 2.7 turbo and got five or six people to give feedback. I ask basically the same question two years later and get one guy?? I even posted about my disappointment with the lack of community participation and still nothing....not even a long time loyalist saying "hey back off my forums man!"
What gives? Can I get help from other Audi owners here or am I better off going to another forum? Oh wait....the senior admin did respond when I joked about him driving a Subaru, I think he made a snide remark about FWD Audis. Hmmm.