Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at an a6 2.7T...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Looking at an a6 2.7T...

hey Guys,

I'm looking at buying a 2001 Audi A6 2.7T. I've read a bunch of reviews online, and most of them seem to be pretty negative as to the maintenance costs of this vehicle... I rode in a friend of mine's once, and it was an incredible car as far as performance, but if it's going to cost me three or $4000 a year, I can't afford it. The car has 80,000 miles on it and he says he's the second owner and that he's maintained it well… I really like the way the car performs, but this can break constantly I can afford. He's asking $6500… I was just wondering what you guys think about this deal, and if you wouldn't mind sharing your own experiences with the car? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance everyone

Old 10-19-2011, 04:31 PM
3rd Gear

You're not the first nor last guy asking about the reliability of a 10 year old Audi. Generally reliable and Audi are not used in the same sentence, or even the same paragraph. That said, the miles are relatively low and you know who owned it and what work was done. That helps. Step 2 is to get it inspected by someone who knows Audis, especially the tranny, suspension, and turbos. Step 3 is to resign yourself to occasional, moderately expensive repairs (parts are not cheap, but neither are they out of sight), the need to perform regular maintenance, and the willingness to live with accessories and other stuff that just quits working. A search on 2.7Ts will give you lots of reading about problems owners have experienced, since that is mostly what gets posted.

Now, on the positive side, I am one of those owners who chipped at 75k, replaced the clutch and flywheel at 85k, have had two TBs replaced and one pair of control arms and not much else, and now have 190k on my car. I do regular maintenance which includes changing tranny and differential fluid every 60k and brake fluid every 2 years. I also drive it gently and try to avoid curbs and pot holes. I am taking it from MI to NY to FL this month, so I am confident in it's reliability (see, it took two paragraphs to say that), but on my last trip I had a brake pad drag and ruin a rotor and before that one emergency brake cable seized and did the same. In the car's defense, it sat for three months, so I should have driven it locally to loosen things up before leaving on a 2000 mile trip.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the input man.