Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a A6 4.2L few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Default Looking at a A6 4.2L few questions

Hi there.

I work for Carmax in Knoxville and have access to their wholesale cars.

I'm looking at a '02 A6 4.2L w/123k on the odo. Quick search shows that I believe it has the sport package, with the 17s. It's a light "baby blueish" color with a pin stripe that will need to go ASAP.

Before I can test drive this car I have to pay a small fee to have a quick very basic check on it from a tech.

But I gave a good look over before I decide to have it looked at so I can test drive it. The body seems to be in great shape just a few scratches here and there, the motor starts right up and idles smoothly no noises or anything. But I have found some quirks after searching around here a little bit I couldn't really find my answers.

I let the car run for about 10-15 minutes. Like I stated the motor idled smooth, no noises, but I did notice the temp gauge sat at COLD the entire time. One point it moved off of C just a little bit but then fell back again. Also the oil pressure gauge sits all the way to the left as well, I believe it's 150? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the needle never moves just like the temp gauge. The motor stationary seems to run terrific could both of these just be a sensor? Or possible thermostat issue for the temp gauge?

I also noticed that only one station seemed to come in clear on the BOSE, but the rest were all very fuzzy which I found odd and the display seems to be slightly distorted. Also the left rear window motor is basically shot.

Other than that everything else appeared to work fine.

How much would a new window regulator/motor run me? And what are your suggestions on the two gauge issues?

Thanks in advance,
-Andrew

Old 12-12-2007, 11:07 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Looking at a A6 4.2L few questions

The gauges are down usually due to senders malfunctions. - coolant temperature sensor and oil pressure sensor.
After an engine wash happened to me. Faded after a while.
I’d suggest you hook a scanner and get the DTC report.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:06 PM
3rd Gear

These cars have 2 temp gauges. One for the water and the other for the oil. On my 2.8 V6, it takes awhile for the water temp to rise, and it even takes longer for the oil temp to rise or even move above 150. 10 mins of idling may not move the oil temp at all. Take it for a spin and you should see the water temp rise, then the oil temp following after the water temp gauge. If it does not rise at all after driving for 15 to 20 minutes, I suspect that the gauge is busted.

As for the radio display, do you see any dead pixels or messed up pixel layout? These cars are notorious for that. Sometimes, if you pull the radio fuse and insert it again, it fixes itself, but not always. Only other way is to replace the whole deck.

As for the regulator, do a web search. It is just parts cost plus labor.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:00 PM

Appreciate the response guys.

It looks like a few pixels are out on the radio display. Tomorrow I will go in and have a check done on it and see what comes up and give it a test drive.