Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice - electrical in nature

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 07:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Looking for advice - electrical in nature

I have an A6 Avant Wagon, love the car with the exception of the occasional mechanical issue's that arise...but it is a Precision German Machine, so I expect some of these things. But here is my newest issue, and I am looking to see how bad this could be, becuase I am very concerned.

On a long drive with my daughter the car started "bucking", diagnosed it was a shifting issue since I lost use of the Tiptronic. Stopped and let the car sit for a bit and ran fine for the rest of the trip (added some dry gas and injector cleaner just in case it was a gas issue). Now I am not sure if the issue's are / where related, but my dome lights started fading on and off later in the trip and eventually blew the fuse controlling windows, sunroof, interior lights, central locking system, and a few other things. Promptly replaced the fuse and it blew within seconds of pulling away (did this twice). Now the check engine light has come on as well. I have not lost any other electronics within the car, but I fear that may come soon...regardless, I know I need to get whatever is causing this fixed.

I should mention this started when it was raining out, but has been persistant since, regardless of weather.

ANYONE that can offer some assistance / advice / guidance on this would be more than greatly appreciated. I do have it scheduled to pay a visit to the Audi Doc. in a week, but would like to have a little knowledge heading into it so I know if I am getting hosed or not and if I even need to take her for a visit (i.e. fix, check something myself...I am not mechanic, by I have done a few tear downs in my day).

Thank you everyone, and happy Auding...

C

Old 03-27-2007, 09:30 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Looking for advice - electrical in nature

My first thought was maybe water is getting in somewhere. Do you have access to a vag-com?

Jeff

Old 03-28-2007, 06:19 PM
1st Gear

I had it on a computer a few days ago and it was spitting a LOT (I believe the number was 36 codes returned) of codes back with the blown circuit, but after the circuit was replaced the scan can back clean (shortly after the fuse blows again). My initial suspision was water as well, I am wondering if there is something in particular I should be looking for or someplace I should be looking in? I am very worried they are going to tell me my entire electrical system needs replacement...and if I should expect that?!

Not sure if anyone else has been through this or knows what actions I can / should take outside of bending over for my mechanic (granted he is a great, honest guy but still not cheap).

Old 03-28-2007, 06:26 PM

over voltage would be my guess ( alternator )

Old 03-29-2007, 01:36 AM
1st Gear

Well...Im not positive, but i think the Transmissinon control module is located under the passengers floor area. And i think the comfort module is located under the drivers floor area. So if there is water leaking onto the floor thats where it would go. You could check your front sunroof drains-they clog often.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:35 PM
1st Gear

I have it in the shop this week, and will let everyone know what they find!

Old 04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
1st Gear

P.S. Thank you all for your insight, any of your suggestions that I was able to perform myself I tried to no avail.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

OK...everyone that is interested in the outcome, this one was fun! It turns out that there was a short being caused by the under seat light. The solution? Take out the lightbulb. This was the solution resulting from 8 hours of a very good Audi shops tech's working the issue (they did not charge me for the eight hours). Now we did not go through the extensive tracking of determining why the light bulb was short circuiting the entire circuit since it entailed tearing the seat apart, and the labor was not worth the reward. The car has run flawlessly since pulling the bulb out.

Darn I love my Audi!

Old 04-12-2007, 07:41 PM

well it just goes to show how the simplest things cause big problems glad you solved the problem

Old 04-14-2007, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

The answer is self evident- you have a short circuit on the earth wire of the seat light, and it is not unheard of. Of course you can live without it, but one kidney is said todo just as well. Most often, the wire can be reached without tearing the seat apart.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice - electrical in nature