Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost to Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 02:23 PM
gkb
Default Lost to Maxima?

Hey everyone i'm new here, hope to have some fun while i'm here.

Well my friend has a 00 maxima(220 hp, 3.0L) , so i had to chump him and get a better car so i gotta 99 a6, fwd, 2.8 Stock.

I raced him a few times and it's preety embarrasing that i lost everytime.(not to mention every car i take on)Why is this dam car so slow, i beat him with my moms 2002 escalade with ease, but this car just won't move. I was hoping you guys could help me with some mods to make my a6 push, so i could blow the max out of the way. any help or advice would be Great.

Thanks, G.K.B

Old 12-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Default RE: Lost to Maxima?

Not much. From what I've read in the forum, a chip wont give you much. The 2.8 isn't made for speed. It's a good, reliable motor. I would search thru the forum but I think you may be out of luck. But... depending on how much you want to spend, there's somebody out there that will make your car unbeatable.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:28 PM
2nd Gear

You bought the wrong motor. The 2.8 is a dog. If you want power you should have purchased the 2.7t if you are into mods, or the 4.2 if you wanted to leave it stock.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:43 PM
2nd Gear

Maximas a deceivingly quick. Your only saving grace against one would be a supercharger. With the $$ you will spend, you're better off getting a 2.7t or 4.2. A chip and exhaust on a 2.8 will get you closer to the maxima's output but will not be enough. You need to get upwards of 275 to compete with the '02- '05 maximas. My buddies '05 was barely a car length behind me and I have over 300HP and 280+ TQ??? Not sure on the TQ number but you ge the picture. Your 2.8 is barely 190 HP and weighs in on the scales.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

they are right, the maximas with the 3.0 are not slow, i had one previous to my 2.7, a 97 se 5 spd with y pipe, intake, full exhaust and a few other things and it pulled pretty dam hard and was a fun car to drive, you want a 2.7 if your looking for some speed out of an A6

Old 12-22-2007, 07:13 PM
gkb

wait so whats fatser, 2.7Turbo or the 4.2? and some pricing help would be great

Thanks, you guys r great

Old 12-22-2007, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

Out of the box, the 4.2 is faster (higher hp and torque, though it is a bit heavier. Great fender flares, too!). Modded, the 2.7T is faster. Of course, modding it isn't that expensive or complicated, so given the price differential, you'd likely end up with a faster, cheaper car with the 2.7T. However (always a but...) the 4.2 is rock-stable, the 2.7T's block sure is, but you eventually will get into turbo replacement with them. There's another thread floating around here about roughly when that replacement is. Then you can go nuts and go with the K04 turbos (from the RS-series cars), yada, yada....but that's a whole 'nuther story.

The biggest problem we have as A6 drivers is weight. Sure, we make a bunch of power. But with all the hardware for the quattro (not to mention that there's plenty of body metal), we're lugging around an extra 400-800lbs compared to other cars in the same class. What we gain in stability from quattro we loose in absolute acceleration due to the weight.

2.8 = great engine, great car, great for driving around, not so great for playing around.
2.7T = for fun. Can mod to the heavens. The most tunable of the family.
4.2 = for raw refined power. Nothing says low-end grunt like a V-8. Bulletproof engine.

Pricing? Around here (North Jersey), for an 01 2.7T you're talking 12-15k, for a 01 4.2 it's something like 14-20k. That's really, really ballpark. MT6 might cost you more, as they can be harder to find.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:15 PM
gkb

ORIGINAL: RedShoeRider

Out of the box, the 4.2 is faster (higher hp and torque, though it is a bit heavier. Great fender flares, too!). Modded, the 2.7T is faster. Of course, modding it isn't that expensive or complicated, so given the price differential, you'd likely end up with a faster, cheaper car with the 2.7T. However (always a but...) the 4.2 is rock-stable, the 2.7T's block sure is, but you eventually will get into turbo replacement with them. There's another thread floating around here about roughly when that replacement is. Then you can go nuts and go with the K04 turbos (from the RS-series cars), yada, yada....but that's a whole 'nuther story.

The biggest problem we have as A6 drivers is weight. Sure, we make a bunch of power. But with all the hardware for the quattro (not to mention that there's plenty of body metal), we're lugging around an extra 400-800lbs compared to other cars in the same class. What we gain in stability from quattro we loose in absolute acceleration due to the weight.

2.8 = great engine, great car, great for driving around, not so great for playing around.
2.7T = for fun. Can mod to the heavens. The most tunable of the family.
4.2 = for raw refined power. Nothing says low-end grunt like a V-8. Bulletproof engine.

Pricing? Around here (North Jersey), for an 01 2.7T you're talking 12-15k, for a 01 4.2 it's something like 14-20k. That's really, really ballpark. MT6 might cost you more, as they can be harder to find.

Thanks that some great info there i just go one concern. I wasn't talking about buying a new audi prices i wanted to know how much it would cost to swap my engine for a 2.7t or a 4.2, and if those are the prices to swap then forget it. but thanks for the help

Old 12-23-2007, 12:48 AM
1st Gear

for the money you would spend to swap(which wouldnt be easy at all but anything is possible) you could just buy a 2.7 or a 4.2. Honestly it seams like your after some speed, the best advice is to ditch the 2.8 my friend

Old 12-23-2007, 11:18 AM
2nd Gear

GKB, no offense at al but why would you expect to beat a Maxima when your car weighs more and has less power. In addition, their engine is one of the best 6in the market, aside from BMW 6ers. The midrange torque is awesome, very efficient motor if a little unrefined compared to Bimmer for example.
You may have bought a "better" car tha your friend's as an overall packkage, certainly from an interior standpoint and looks... and it's even all relative... but it doesn't mean you bought a FASTER car.
I had a 2.8 myself and it seems everything short of my Jeep Wrangler is faster From a mod standpoint, I wouldn't waster my $ if I were you. As for engine swapping, you are better off selling the 2.8 and getting a 2.7T or 4.2.
As for your question, which is faster of the 2.7t and 4.2... although most say the 4.2 is.... I found that in spite of the HP advantage, the 4.2 is not always faster. If you get a 6spd 2.7t, you'd be right on par with a 4.2 Auto and might have a lsight edge in some situation from what I read and was told when I first bought mine.
I can tell you that my 2.7t TIPtronic with just a chip was faster than a stock 4.2, including the newer model. I raced a few, especially that one on the way to Atlanta and it could not keep up.
Now the 4.2 I heard is a rock from an engine standpoint, but the 2.7 block is a tough mama too. As for the stock turbos, I have seen 2.7T'swith well over 100k and no issues. it is all a matter of "taking care of it"... There is a thread in this A6 forum about what to do to keep your "baby" in shape... VERY basic things will keep your 2.7T running problem free:
- RELIGIOUS maintenance... Don't follow the service book directions with 10,000 miles intervals b/w services. I would suggest every 5,000 miles using only top premium synthetic oil. I personally use the Castrol synthec made in germany. Some use Mobil1, or penzoil.
- ALWAYS ALWAYS let your car warm up (175 +) before you gun it, before that I stay within 3,000rpm, which has more than enough power for every day driving.
- ALWAYS ALWAYS let your car cool down a bit before turning off the engine after spirited driving. Either drive the last few miles to your house at low RPM's or let the car cool down 30 seconds, maybr 45 is you really dogged it!
- Check the known weak parts at service times (search A6 forum)
- Upgrade the DV's to the N710 from the TT or spend $ on R1, Hyperboost... fancier DVs'.
- Upgrade to a SAMCO TBB or if you have $ the APR Bipipe.
- Do theTB&WP service early, 60k if modded, or 70k.
- Get a chip and and and... PIGGY pipes for reliability and performance. They decrease temp behind the turbos and wil probably give you an extra 20hp and 30 lbs TQ.
- if/when you do your auxiliary water pump under the intake, replace the gaskets with NEWSOUTH Powergaskets, some call them spacers. They will decrease operating temperature and also give you a little xtra OOMPH.
- Oh and brakes are not great in the A6, so i would upgrade to SS brake lines and better pads.

There's more, you'll find plenty of threads....
The 4.2 has one of the sexiest butt in the family sedan world and the 2.7 is highly tunable!

Quick Reply: Lost to Maxima?