Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOTS of replacements

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Default LOTS of replacements

Hello! Brand new here (first post).

I would like some general feedback on what I have done to my 2000 a6 2.8 and if it has been worthwhile or a moneypit

-In April of 2006 purchased car (90k) for $9000- good deal. Although the ASR was not working and still doesn't.

-In may of 2006 replaced all four O2 sensors and blinker relay.
I believe the sellar (private) had turned the codes off just prior to selling to me. But was about that time anyway.

-In January 2007 replaced the entire front suspension.
Rt & Lt complete axles, Control arms, shocks, springs, etc.
Also front and rear brakes.

-In June of 2007 replaced the timing belt, tensioner, and roller, thermostat, water pump, sparkplugs and wires, valve cover gaskets, front seals, gasket and grommet for hydraulic tension, vacuum hoses, etc.

-In October of 2007 replaced both Cats.

-In December of 2007 new purge valve and breather hoses, new tires, and another O2 sensor (only 30k after the last).

I am now about $7000 deep into this ride. I do love the 2000 body style more than any other so far.
I guess what I am asking is, does this sound like I have been slowly rebuilding this car to get me to 200,000 miles without any issues;
or have I purchased a "money pit" that I will just have to continuously throw money at as long as I will drive it?

I really appreciate any feedback and am just looking to find if this is normal when buying used from a private party at 90k.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:43 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: LOTS of replacements

There is nothing out of the ordinary in your list of repairs above. You have covered pretty much everything that usually needs to be replaced. You did buy a 8 year old car, and all cars, even a Toyota will need most of the repairs listed above. Parts are more expensive for an Audi but understandable when you consider how many are sold vs. Toyota.

Keep this car for the long haul and it will reward you. With 7k in repairs you must be paying someone to do the work. Ever consider learning/doing your own maintenance? You could save big $$$.

Jeff

Old 01-06-2008, 05:00 AM
1st Gear

The majority of the things mentioned are those that are expected to go by that sort of mileage. So in a sense, now it's done, you won't need to worry, hopefully, about any other major problems. These can all pretty much be classed as 'maintenance'.

Next up though, will be more electrical gremlins. Little things that won't affect the car's performance or drivability but may or may not annoy you.

In my 2001, 115k miles, I've got lights that don't turn on when they should (sun visor, door lights, back seat windows etc.) and my alloy wheels keep getting cracks in them.

Timing belt, front and back brakes, fuel pump, clutch plate have all been changed. Front suspension may have been done by previous owner. So apart from the O2 sensors, pretty much everything you listed has been done.

Now I hope I don't have to change my O2 sensors....

As Jeff said, do a bit of DIY to enjoy your car more and save on the labour at the same time.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:14 AM
1st Gear

hell yeah,i would keep it for sure,and dont forget to change the tranny fluid

Old 01-06-2008, 10:22 AM
2nd Gear

typical repairs at that millage ... keep it and hopefully you will see it hit 200k!!!

Old 01-06-2008, 02:23 PM

Wow. Thank you so much for your quick replies. I think I'll frequent this forum a lot now

Yes, Ive always paid to have the work done. The last bit of work has been from a friend of a friend who I can bring Bosch parts to who will do the labor for a great price. I feel I've gotten a bit hosed up until that point, but I've learned.

DIY sounds like a great idea to have fun and learn while also saving $. I want to turn this 2000 a6 into my own.

@ JJ2345- Tranny has been flushed

Thanks again!