Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which is main muffler- center or finals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Default which is main muffler- center or finals?

Just picking up my A6 4.2, I've been speaking with vendors about various aftermarket exhausts.MTM, Heisenberg, Milltek, Cargraphic, Supersprint, Oettinger, B&B, BBAutotechnik...man, whoever said options are limited??? They are all very costly though, and most seem to strivefor a more wide-open/race tone than I care for in my daily driver.
I also read the thread about converting the center muffler to straight pipes. I'm just wondering whether the main or final mufflers are the most responsible for noise reduction...I assume that one is the 'muffler' and the other the resonator(s).
Thanks.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: which is main muffler- center or finals?

My guess is that the centers do a lot more than the rar mufflers for sound reduction. I am basing this on the fact that I am running the OEM Rs6 sound enhanced setup, including the center mufflers, and another local 4.2 owner is running the same exhaust but with the stock 4.2 center mufflers. Mine is MUCH louder than his setup, and we have the exact same rear mufflers.

Again, my offer stands if you want to meet sometime in MA to hear the exhaust in person!

Old 03-13-2007, 04:20 PM

Thanks, the weather is getting promising maybe you guys want to tour the Cape before the traffic gets nasty.

I leave at 3 a.m. for the warm climes of Tenn to pick up the car...I'll drop a line sometime after I'm back and rested--- facing doubleshifts first couple days back.

BTW- do you have any pictures of hte RS exhaust pre-installation? Is there a crossover included in that or is there one at the cats?

Old 03-13-2007, 04:32 PM
2nd Gear

I took out my center resonator and welded in straight pipes. The car is a little louder in the 2-3k rpm range. It runs cooler and breaths better. I have the stock mufflers in place and if I replaced them with aftermarketI would want to get aftermarket resonators to eliminate the drone. The center resonator is responsible for sound deadening.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: smtcapecod

BTW- do you have any pictures of hte RS exhaust pre-installation? Is there a crossover included in that or is there one at the cats?
Have a safe trip to get the car! Make sure you take some pics and post up your new ride soon. As far as pics of the exhaust, here are a couple for reference. As you can see, no crossover of the center pipe. The second pic is a closeup of the adaptor that was used to bridge the gap between the post-cat pipe and the center pipe (different diameters). Hope these help!

Old 03-19-2007, 03:13 PM

Thanks, that does help.
So those center pipes are just mooshed together? Would be a perfect spot for an oblong passage to balance pressure between the cylinder banks. I have a dual in/out muffler with an internal X from my Porsche project, but I'm assuming there is a driveshaft or transmission component or something that drives the shape of the aftermarket center mufflers- or the switch to the two cannister mufflers. I'm really only looking for a subtle change-- I tried to pull that off with my Grand Cherokee and got it backwards- louder on the road and quieter at idle. I want a little more rumpus at idle.