Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

may be joining you!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:29 PM
2nd Gear
Default may be joining you!!

hey guys hows it goin? i currently have an 03 a4 quattro with the 3.0 motor, 6 speed... its a really nice car its just a bit small (which isnt the major problem) and the driving standard everyday is really getting to me.... so im lookin to trade it in for a 2003 a6 that i found, automatic 3.0 quattro with 67,000 miles on it, and if the dealership will give me the right price for my car then i will trade it in... anything i should know about these cars? what are some big differances between the two? and as far as maintenance goes how pricey compared to the a4 are the a6's?

Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: may be joining you!!

It will drive differently, the a6 is heavier with a softer ride and obviously more room both front and in back. You wont get the same mileage, same motor but more weight. Probably not much more $$ for maintenance, Audi's are already pricey, TB , water pump/TS, control arms.
I wouldn't mind having your A4 6-speed, I miss the shifting as my last 2 Audi's were 5 speed model 90s, except it's not as big as my A6. Good luck if you make the move up.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:51 AM
1st Gear

cobra03terminator huh? so do you actually have a termy, or just used to? for a while i thought i was gona be the only person on her with an '03 cobra and an a6.

anyways, back on topic, routine maintenance is critical with a6's, so make sure whatever you're looking at has all the service records and everything's been done on time. you will get worse gas mileage because the car has the same motor but has to lug around quite a bit more weight than it does in your a4, so fuel economy will be a little worse. the a4's are nice, but i like the a6's because they come with so many more little things here and there to play with. they're also more comfortable in my opinion. make sure whoever owned it previously didn't beat the snot out of it and abuse it. besides the typical things to look for like tire wear, brake noise, etc, make sure you check and see if any of the CV boots are cracking or getting ready to break, because that'll just create a sloppy mess that you'll have to fix. not too bad on the wallet, but messy and inconvenient. i would also recommend either finding someone with a vagcom (if you dont' have one yourself) or taking it to an audi dealership and have them scan the individual modules in the car instead of just the OBDII computer, just to see if anything is throwing a DTC. also with this they can check the condition of the o2 sensors, because the front o2's on a 3.0 are a bit** to replace. i've also heard that the 3.0 motor is the most expensive in labor costs to get anything repaired, but that's just hearsay, i don't know that for a fact. make sure the transmission shifts smoothly still and that there's no obvious whining or grinding sounds from the transmission/center diff area, because you don't want an outer pinion bearing going bad in that center diff, that's mega not fun to get rebuilt. cost mejust under$3k at an indy shop, audi dealership wanted $5600, so make sure all that stuff feels right. i'm sure you're pretty well aquainted with the quattro system, so make sure none of the tires are wearing funny, otherwise you might have to make a trip to the alignment shop, around $125 to get it properly aligned. can't really think of much else now off the top of my head, so i'm sure if i forgot anything, someone else will chime in.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:28 AM
2nd Gear

mustang, no unfortunatley i dont have a cobra... yet... ha i taded in my 03 gt for my a4 because i wanted something more sensible to drive all year round and when i get done paying it off im getting my cobra... but any ways... what do you get for gas milage with your a6?

Old 01-23-2008, 08:42 AM
4th Gear

somebody was selling an '03 2.7 with 75k miles for around 13k on here. That's a great price. you might want to check it out. While it may be a little more costly to maintain, it will be a great ride.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:11 AM
2nd Gear

the dealer is asking just under 16,000 for this 2003 a6 with 67,500 miles on it, automatic with the 3.0 motor all wheel drive black with beige interior, good price or a little high?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:04 AM
4th Gear

check out edmunds.com for pricing idea. try to come in 750 lower or, halfway from whatever you see there between dealer and private seller. lot's of variables to work the price down on a used car. Check out the 2.7 listed. I think it looked like a steal.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:53 AM
1st Gear

Of course they are different! The A6 it's designed for an upper class of consumers while the A4 for a medium class people! Think! Go 4 the A6!

Old 01-23-2008, 12:20 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: m0n0x!de

Of course they are different! The A6 it's designed for an upper class of consumers while the A4 for a medium class people! Think! Go 4 the A6!
A6 is for the "upper class" consumers???? Is that a[sm=ts.gif]?

Geez - I must be upper -upper class because I owned two of them at the same time.
Ialso own a 200QT so I might beupper-upper-upper class. []

Subtract a little for a Dodge mini-van, a VW Passat (Audi A4 wanna be), a VW Jetta (another wanna be)-- add a little forthe roller-skate and I'm probably just an upper - upper - 1/2 upper class consumer. [:-]

As for allowing a medium class person to join us - I guess it is OK as long as he is willing to pay the price. [sm=welcomesign.gif]

Old 01-23-2008, 12:35 PM
2nd Gear

lol i dont consider myself as an "upper class" haha just a hard worker doin what i gotta do to get by and have a few nice things

Quick Reply: may be joining you!!