Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Memory issues & Blinking HVAC

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Default Memory issues & Blinking HVAC

So I recently purchased a 1998 Audi a6 with 77k miles. It is, seemingly, in otherwise perfect shape except for a few minor electrical issues that I am attempting to resolve.

The first problem is with the memory settings. Its not that they don't work, that does not bother me, but the problem is every time I start the car the side mirrors re-adjust to some other position, presumably their last memory. This is very annoying and i wonder if any of you know of a good means to fix it on the cheap, is there something I can unplug, or what I would need to replace to fix this.

The other problem is the HVAC controls seem to blink for a few minutes when I start the car, and then stop. Everything seems to work fine its just another annoyance and i'm wondering what the cause is. Thanks for any help.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:23 AM
1st Gear

Luke... use the for... er... ah... use the "stop" button!

It is next to the seat memory buttons on the driver's door. Note that the indicator for the "stop" button only comes on if you have the lights on.

You could also program the memory for you.... basically: Turn on but do not start the car, set the seat and mirrors, press and hold the memory button, and press and hold a numbered button for at least one second. Each remote can be set to a different number button.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the reply, Ill give it a try tonight. I had assumed that the memory buttons were not working but I did not follow that procedure. Suppose it would help to have a manual hehe.

Any thoughts on the blinking HVAC? Is this the normal operation perhaps as it heats up? Just the two lcds that display the temps on each side and the lcd that displays the fans intensity blink for a few minutes when I start the car, then they stop. Does not seem to affect anything but I'm quite curious as to the cause or if it indicates some kind of problem.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by eggimand
... Any thoughts on the blinking HVAC? ...
All I can say is: "It sounds wrong... but if it still works..."

The HVAC control has a built in self test circuit. I know it has it, I can get into the test mode. (Press recirculation and the upper vent buttons at the same time.) I have only found anything on controls other than the A6. There are almost 80 different measurements... I have figured out about 3 or 4. (Road Speed (in k), RPM, Outside temp (in c) and one or two more.)

Anyway... have you checked the control head with a VAG Com? It may have a code or two stored.