Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 09:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Mods

Okay...so bare with me...this is my first Audi...but I want her to "be ALL that she can be". I am not looking to enlist her though...I am just trying to find out what...if anything I can do as far as mods to make her even better than she already is! Where do I start??? And where do I go for parts. Here is what I "THINK" I know about her so far...now mind you...I am by NO MEANS an expert on this yet...gimme time though...I will figure it all out!!!

2000 Audi A6
4.2 Quattro
SR6 wheels
Z35 tires
after market dual exhaust
Leather interior...power EVERYTHING.

The one thing someone mentioned was that she could have the shifting buttons on the steering wheel and that could potentially be an upgrade I could get done...is that true...and is it wise!? Personally...honestly...I rarely use the manual option on my transmission.

Anyway...any suggestions...or advice would be MUCH appreciated! I am so excited about this car...and I would love to get her all decked out for show!

Thanks for your help!
LT

Old 03-01-2006, 01:08 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Mods

Okay...com'on guys...help a girl out here! Honestly...I just want to make my ride...well...the envy of all the boys on my block! I know nothing but VW/Audi fanatics...they all think that I will waste this precious beauty and not do a thing with her...my current job...TO PROVE THEM WRONG...and beat their asses in the quarter!!! Any help I can get would be MUCH appreciated!!![sm=devilangel.gif]

Old 03-01-2006, 01:19 AM
3rd Gear

You never said you were a female... J/K. I have a 2001 4.2 and I haven't done anything to the engine. There isn't too much you can do to it since it's not the turbo. I always like to do the exterior mods first. Wheels, suspension, etc. I'm not sure what is offered on the 4.2 performance wise. There aren't any shops around me that do aftermarket stuff on my car.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:25 AM
1st Gear

yes, you can put the finger shifters on but it is a pain......

http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/547564.phtml

go with what I did, stick with what works best

2001 A6
4.2 sport widebody
Quatrro.....

Koni Adj. shocks

Eibach Pro kit springs

H&R hollow sway bars

better rotors, and EBC green pads

GIAC chip

K&N filter

Heim joint Sway bar end links

if you do these things, your car will GO, TURN and STOP like it should......

then yours will be as good as mine......
untill then, see you in my mirrors
Alex.....

Old 03-01-2006, 09:20 AM
2nd Gear

I personally like the stealth look so I would not play with the exterior. BUt you can play with what is underneath.

You can "chip" it. Take a look at http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar....cfm&PPT=Chips

You can play with the suspension. Take a look at http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...PPT=Suspension

Good luck.

Kevin

Old 03-01-2006, 04:38 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys! I think the chip is a good idea! I am going to take her in and get her looked over by a friend who knows Audi a little better than I do and see if I can't find out what she has really had done to her so I don't duplicate anything. I agree though...I like the body look...so I don't want to mess with that...although I think I may wash her and there is a little discoloration on the back fenders...there are these little squares of something there (I am assuming to prevent rock chips in the paint or something) anyway...they have discolored a bit...has anyone ever seen this before or heard of it!? What is the best way to deal with this? Anyway...we shall see what I can get out of her here in the next six months or so!

Thanks for the advice!!! I feel lucky...doesn't look like I will have to put much work into her at all!

LT

PS: Oh...and sorry...didn't realize I didn't mention I was female...so here it is...I am female...pure...100%...female...legs, breasts, 36-24-36...female!! I am not sure how that changes things...but in case it helps in determining what is best for my new baby...there it is!

Old 03-01-2006, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

POST PICS.................

oh. and a few of the car would be nice......

Old 03-01-2006, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

Unfortunately...I don't have pics of me WITH the car yet...we need a day without rain first!!! But the car is in the Gallery!

Old 03-01-2006, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

A few suggestions for you:

Consider Hotchkis H-sport sway bars for performance, they really improve the cornering of this car...feels flat taking on/offramps at speed. About $400 retail plus install (moderate DIY project or 2 hours labor). BEST bang for the buck IMHO.

For dropping the suspension, maybe H&R coilovers, good setup for the 4.2, and adjustable in case you don't want to chance going too low. Many on AudiWorld's A6 forum have this setup, and like it. I had H&R coilovers on my former car (A6 2.7T) and they were terrific. I will likely install those again on the 4.2, but I have the factory sport package, so I will wait until something needs replacing.

Exhaust, maybe source a used RS6 sound-enhanced setup. I ahve one coming my way, and I have heard the A6 4.2 with this setup...sounds like a V8 is suposed to! You can simply have the rear valence cut to expose the exhaust tips. Just find someone with a steady hand and a Dremel.

RS6 wheels, OEM versions are hard to find (if you are talking about the 9-spoke version). They are 18x8.5" ET30 offset, and they look GREAT on the 4.2! I have a set for spring/summer/fall. There are worthy replicas out there, but remember, you get what you pay for. Hartmann makes the "best" replica as far as finish is concerned.

The tiptronic steering wheel is not as easy as you think, and a bit pricey. Here is a link to a tiptronic steering wheel conversion that I did in my previous car: tiptronic wheel install
I just sold this setup to an A6 owner in CA...sorry.

My 2002 A6 4.2 has the tiptronic buttons and the radio controls, and it is nice, but I prefer to use the shift lever for tiptronic.

There are a few folks that have recommended at tip-chip to improve the shifting. I ahev not done this, but I have heard many positive results from this chip. Unfortunately, not much more you can do to improve a normally aspirated V8 (unless you go supercharger which is in development).

For LOTS of info about the A6, check out Stoney's Links which is a collection of tech articles and posts about the A6.

My car, I have a registry page here: Boston Driver's Registry Page which has stuff about what I have done and plan to do to my car.

Congrats on your new ride!!!

Old 03-02-2006, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

Okay...WOW...thanks for the awesome response...quite the information to mull through! From what I have been told about my car so far (please bar in mind...these comments are from Audi fans and supposedly knowledgeable...but not from actual Audi dealers or mechanics) my new baby has the sport package with the upgraded OEM SR6 18" wheels and the upgraded exhaust...although no one can tell me whether or not it is an Audi upgraded exhaust or aftermarket...regardless...it definitely makes her sound like a V8 should...she's got a nice growl to her.

I like the idea of dropping the suspension...although I am not sure how much farther she will go...she sits pretty low as is...probably another 3/4" at most.

I am pretty sure I want to keep her looking fairly stock...the idea of a sleeper is a nice thought if I plan on taking her to the track to test her in the quarter at some point...wouldn't want anyone to bail before I get the chance to kick their ***!!!

I think I am going to drop the idea of the tiptronic steering wheel...doesn't seem as necessary or valuable to the performance as some of the other things I can do to her.

I am still curious though as to whether or not anyone has come across the discoloration on the back fenders...one patch on each side of the car...right in front of the wheels...kind of at the bottom of the wheel well area. They look like stickers put there to prevent paint damage from rock kick up...but I can't tell for sure...and I don't know what to do about the discoloration...it is really rather obvious...to me anyway!

Quick Reply: Mods