Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moon Roof not shutting

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Default Moon Roof not shutting

98 A6 Quattro 2.8
My moonroof will not shut. I turn the dial to close and it just stays where it is at. If I turn the dial slightly to open, it closes the moonroof all the way. It also seems like it is returning it too far back.
I the turn the dial a little more and it goes to about the 1/3 way shut position.
Problem with the motor?

Old 04-19-2005, 12:12 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Moon Roof not shutting

there is a replaceable module inside the cover where manual close is.
its one of the quirky things in audis.
does it close right when you use the key in the driver door?

Old 04-19-2005, 02:39 AM

I was able to close it manually. I did not close using the key in the door.
Think replacing that module is the answer?

Old 04-19-2005, 12:39 PM
2nd Gear

Usually replacing the module will work. It is about $70.00 and is self programming.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:49 PM

I've had the mechanism get out of sync with the switcheson my '97 A6Q. Just popped the cover and tinkered with it to get it back on track.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:17 PM

Try fully closing the roof manually using hex tool. Once closed set switch to closed position.
may need to turn off car and restart. Try using it. My 97 was the same after I replaced battery.
After I closed it manually and set the switch to closed position It worked Ok again.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Moon Roof Won't Close!

I know that I'm bringing this post back from the dead but my 2000 A6's Moon roof will not close. Does the 2000 have this same manual close mechanism that's described above? I have not been able to find any such place inside the cabin that looks as if it would allow a manual close. Also not sure if the motor has gone or what.

Seems to exhibit some of the same symptoms described above but I'm still not clear as to what the issue was or is. HELP!

Last edited by DaBatMan; 12-31-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:09 PM
3rd Gear

I have not been able to find any such place inside the cabin that looks as if it would allow a manual close.
You need to pop open the overhead map/reading lights/roof control cover. If it wasn't lost in time, you should be able to find an S-shaped Allen-like small wrench that fits in a slot on the roof's motor. It's a fail-safe manual backup that allows the owner to close the roof when it stops responding electrically.
You need to disconnect the power connector, insert the wrench and crank it until closed.
If the motor is still good, you need to replace the potentiometer - something that's usually the culprit, if you search the forum. I had to replace mine.
good luck

Old 01-01-2011, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
You need to pop open the overhead map/reading lights/roof control cover. If it wasn't lost in time, you should be able to find an S-shaped Allen-like small wrench that fits in a slot on the roof's motor. It's a fail-safe manual backup that allows the owner to close the roof when it stops responding electrically.
You need to disconnect the power connector, insert the wrench and crank it until closed.
If the motor is still good, you need to replace the potentiometer - something that's usually the culprit, if you search the forum. I had to replace mine.
good luck
Thanks for responding chefro. I'll check for this allen wrench in the morning. I did see a couple of holes near the map lights that appear to have some screws or something... (couldn't tell as it was too dark tonight). I'll give it a shot in the morning and let you know what I conclude.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:37 PM
1st Gear

Stopped at an auto parts store this morning and borrowed an allen wrench, popped open the map light cover and attempted to close the roof manually. However, i couldn't find anything that resembled a place to crank the wrench and close the roof. I did see a tubular type metal contraption that looked like it could be the roof motor but I wasn't sure. It had voltage and amp listing I believe but I saw no place to insert the wrench. It's raining now (of course during a time that my roof won't close) and I have a piece of card board blocking the rain.

Quick Reply: Moon Roof not shutting