Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My APR making 17.5 psi of boost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 08:14 PM
1st Gear
Default My APR making 17.5 psi of boost?

I got chipped on Thursday and got my gauge today, and the boost is spiking at 17.5. Isn't is supposed to be a 1 BAR/14.5 psi program??
Also, I drove home all the way to listen to see how everything was (primarily to listen for boost leaks from the new TBB and DV's). What I heard was a whistling from the turbos as they spooled, but not under higher boost. Only from 0 to 5, if I recall correctly. As the boost built, the sound went away. If it were a sound of turbo failure, would the sound happen all the way throughout the boost range? is this low-boost sound normal?
It's not loud some some of the "dentist drill" videos I've seen...
Can anyone give me any info about the 17.5 psi of boost from the APR chip and the slight low-boost whistle?

I'll drive it again tomorrow and pay more attention to the details of the sound, speed, RPM and boost related details.

Thanks!
Jeremy

Old 09-06-2008, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear

I think your fine ... my giac x chip got me past that level at some points ... I had a manual boost controler so that it wouldnt spike that high ... apr wont work with manual boost controllers though ... so your best bet is to probably order some new piping and enjoy the chip ... you dont have turbo failure they just make more noise now with the new DV and the chip ...

Get some vast piggies and a catback and youll be set!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

Hey, I see you finally sold you car Joe! If you don't mind me asking, what was the final parting price? I was trying to sell mine for a little while before I decided to keep it and mod it up...
When you say "new piping", what are you referring to?
I was going to get the DP's done on Thursday, but after I heard the whistling, I was concerned I might need that money for new turbo's!!!
What's the efficiency range of the KO3's?
Thanks

Old 09-07-2008, 09:42 PM
1st Gear

not to worry, 17.5 psi is still within K03 efficiency range, as for turbo sound, that is normal, believe me when I tell you that you will know a not normal sound when you hear it

Old 09-08-2008, 03:22 PM
1st Gear

Hey nothing77

Just humor me here. This is a little off topic.

If I swap out the stock k03's for the RS4 k04's, can I drive the car to get the re-flash (I am currently running GIAC's program) or will the car have to be flat-bedded to get re-flasehed, in order to be driven properly?

I am thinking that I can drive the car but just wont be able to feel the upgraded power Correct?

Thanks
E

Last edited by Coors; 09-08-2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: mis-referenced
Old 09-08-2008, 04:16 PM
2nd Gear

yea you can drive you will just show no power gains ... also youll prob have a cel ... as long as the cel isnt flashing ur cool

big job man !!!

hey coors you wanna buy my MBC i still have one uninstalled in the bag and itl work with your giac chip!! 30 bucks?!

by new piping i mean the rubber tubing that tends to dry out and crack away ... sometimes when running a chip you can tear the piping but i wouldnt worry about it too much your tbb or a vac line will be the first thing to go if anything

Old 09-09-2008, 02:44 PM
3rd Gear

If your turbos failed, you would notice the complete lack of acceleration right away. You probably can't hear the spinning of the turbos over the louder road noise, exhaust noise, wind noise as you accelerate.

What kind of boost gauge and where/how did you mount it? Any pictures?

Old 09-09-2008, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

I think it was from a company called SDS. I am going to mount it inside the vent on the front corner of the driver's side. it's going to be mar-glassed, recessed down inside the vent. My brother owns a custom car audio shop and he's done it on other customers' A6's before. It looks great and stock, too.
I'll take pics when I get it all done, but I took it out since my car's going to the dealerships and I don't want any problems... (see my other thread...)

Old 09-09-2008, 11:12 PM
1st Gear

Hey coors, You will def be able to drive the car, you may get a CEL and if you try to romp on it you may actually go into limp mode, the problem being that k04's can deliver more charge air, which may put you in a lean condition.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nothing77
Hey coors, You will def be able to drive the car, you may get a CEL and if you try to romp on it you may actually go into limp mode, the problem being that k04's can deliver more charge air, which may put you in a lean condition.
Thanks, I only ask because I am really concidering doing this. I am about to be in a more financially stable position in the next couple of weeks and am trying to map this out. Also, my mechanic is 55 miles away from my house and I live not even 10 miles away from AWE in Willow Grove, PA.

Good looking out!

Quick Reply: My APR making 17.5 psi of boost?