Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new '96 A6

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 03:17 PM
1st Gear
Default My new '96 A6

So, here's my car.

It's a 96 Audi A6 Quattro. A little under 158,000 miles.

I've been very happy with this car mechanically, but I baby all of my cars (as you should with any nicer car), and this one has me worried a bit.

Here are all of the probs (that I know of, at least):

- The Gas Gauge. When I fill the car up to full, the gauge only displays it as 3/4 of a tank. This isn't a HUGE deal, but it is kind of annoying because I end up filling up the car every few days since I never know how much gas I have. It's not completely necessary to fix this, but I would like to have it done, if it's an easy job - or inexpensive.

- The Noise. This one kind of has me pinned. I have NO idea what causes it, or where it's coming from. When I'm driving the car, occasionally there will be this noise, kind of like a screeching noise (weeeeeeeehhhhh type thing). I've found that this only happens when I give the car gas (depress the throttle). As soon as I let up on the throttle, it stops, and it seems to be coming out of the air vents, maybe? Does anyone have any ideas. I thought it was the AC myself, but I don't know. I've read on the forums that it may be the cars blower motor? Any idea how much those run? Is it even worth fixing?

- The smell. I'm not sure what this is. I don't know if it's oil or if it's something else, but when I drive my car, there is (most of, but not all of the time) a smell. It smells hot. Could it be oil? I've never smelt this smell before. How would I go about investigating?

- The headlight. - The passenger's headlamp is cracked and is going to need replaced. Are there any online stores where I could get replacement parts?

- Also, the guy I bought it from said that the CV joints would be needing replacement in a couple of months. How much do these typically run?

Finally, could anyone offer me any tips for maintaining the Audi? I've never had a car like this before. I went from a 1998 Chrysler Concorde to a 1997 Mustang to a 2005 Altima, and now I have the Audi. I'd liike to have this car last as long as it can.

Any and all help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Old 08-11-2006, 05:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: My new '96 A6

Hey man, for good cheap high quality audi parts, go to www.autopartswarehouse.com. Thats where you can get those headlamps and new gas gauge. For the noise, go to firestone and pay 99 dollars to get it checked out. They do a full body inspection and it takes about 5 hours.

Good Luck

Dela G

Old 08-18-2006, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

Did u actually buy it in the daylight or had u drunk to much, honestly the things are bullet proof and with a little care will last a lot longer

Old 08-19-2006, 09:44 PM
3rd Gear

the wierd hot burning smell could possibly be coolant? im sure you would know if you were burning oil. smell, possibly smoke..... look in the engine bay for green or orange fluid splatter. good luck with the new car!