Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help ! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 08:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Need help ! ! !

I am currently looking at a 2002 Audi A6 3.0 quattro with 240,000. The car is in excellent condition, maintained very well, no flaws with the body, timing belt and other important parts replaced on the recommended basis. it has snow tires on it now and it will also include a full set of rims with regular tires on them. it's fully loaded and i was wondering what would be a could price to pay for this vehicle, your opinion will really help as i am a new comer to the Audi world but i'm looking to dive right in. but i am also looking at an 98 A4 v6 with 189k for 3,000 ( body and interior are great on both)

Old 12-28-2010, 06:57 AM
2nd Gear

Are those miles or kilometers? Ay 240,000 miles, I would say $2,500 would be an upper limit to the price. The problem is that one large repair (engine or transmission) will be more than the value of the car and, at 240,000 miles, you are risking a major repair, at which point you would have to walk away from the car and your money. If you can part a car out, your downside risk goes down considerably, but not enough to pay extra for the car.

Bob

Old 12-28-2010, 11:50 AM
3rd Gear

It is what it is...no matter the year. Buying a car with 240k miles on it involves some risks, as Bob already touched upon, and I personally would not pay more than $ 2,000-2,500. If you buy it to replace another old car or as your first car, then it means you're a budget-oriented person. Take into account its mpg...
Unless you have good mechanical skills, or you can afford high maintenance at a dealer or euro indie, try to find something more reliable and with a better mpg rating and stay away from old Audis...
If you decide to buy it however, INSPECT the car thoroughly:
* NO LEAKS (Audi and no leaks is an oxymoron, generally): oil, coolant, power steering fluid; transnission fluid; Lift the car and look at the engine/transmission juncture - does it have any oil leaking there? Does it have any ATF coming out around the pan gasket?
* NO VIBRATION, NO funky NOISES - inspect well visually the control arms bushings, the struts' bellows AND the CV AXLES boots (are they torn?)
* NO CEL; all the electronics should function properly
* Maintenance records: when was the TIMING BELT/WATER PUMP/T-STAT last time replaced?
good luck