Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with info on replacing turbos on 2.7T

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:42 AM
1st Gear
Default Need help with info on replacing turbos on 2.7T

my name is Matt. And I am a complete noob. I just bought an 2002 audi a6 2.7T 6 speed. I found out from my mechanic that my left turbo is leaking oil like crazy and definitely needs to be replaced. I have been researching turbos and i found a pair of K04's...http://www.speedyracer.com/servlet/t...RS4-or-/Detail... I want to mod the car somewhat but not extremely. I was wondering if you could help me in telling me if those are good turbos for the car and if i need any other parts to go with them to install them. Also i was wondering if the engine can handle them with out other mods, if i do need to do other mods what all would i have to do? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Matt.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rossitondc36
my name is Matt. And I am a complete noob. I just bought an 2002 audi a6 2.7T 6 speed. I found out from my mechanic that my left turbo is leaking oil like crazy and definitely needs to be replaced. I have been researching turbos and i found a pair of K04's...http://www.speedyracer.com/servlet/t...RS4-or-/Detail... I want to mod the car somewhat but not extremely. I was wondering if you could help me in telling me if those are good turbos for the car and if i need any other parts to go with them to install them. Also i was wondering if the engine can handle them with out other mods, if i do need to do other mods what all would i have to do? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Matt.
how many miles are on your a6? MOST OF TIMES the leaks get misdiagnosed and mechanics say the turbos are leaking when they actually are not. i would get a second opinion especially if your car has low miles.

also the link does not work. if your talking about these turbos

UPGRADE TURBO AUDI RS4 S4 2.7 K04 025/026 TURBOCHARGER

i would find out where they were built. there are lots of stories on the s4 where unbranded turbos fail and require another set.

the cheapest good k04 i know of are franken turbos. they start at 1700 but they are very good quality. just know that the engine must removed to access the turbos on the 2.7 so if these new unbranded turbos fail thats just money down the drain. so save your self the trouble and the labor and buy good branded turbos.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:50 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

^^^^
agreed

definitely do your research. turbo replacement on the 2.7T requires the engine to be pulled. not an easy or cheap job. hope you have deep pockets.

good luck

Old 10-06-2011, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

it has 127k miles. and yes those are the turbos. and no i do not have deep pockets, thats why i chose those turbos because they are 660$. but i am definitely not trying to do all that work and they fail right away so i am willing to spend the money on better ones. this is the second a6 ive brought to my mechanic(returned the first one but stuck with the 2nd one) and on both of them he said that the turbos were leaking and i had a rear main seal leak and priced the repairs at 4000$. my mechanic said the left turbo was leaking oil reallll bad, he said the whole area was saturated. and today i started to hear a noise on the left side, kinda like a leaf caught in a fan, so i was thinking it was the turbo getting mad or something. could that be the noise im hearing? but anyway, so instead of blowing all that money i plan on doing it with a buddy who has a full shop and all the tools we could need. do you know of any cheaper good turbos? preferabbly upgraded/performance? And will i need other mods or should i be good with just the turbos for now? i plan on chipping the car, new turbo manifolds, 3" all the way back, new intake, forge dv valves, and maybe a couple more things that i can find. but since im such a noob to audi i dont even know where to start. thanks for the advice so far i hope you can help with these questions as well.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

are those franken turbos performance/upgraded? produce more power than the k03's?

Old 10-06-2011, 05:54 PM
2nd Gear

For the money you are talking about, you would be better off getting rid of your car and getting something else.

BUT !!!!! First change the valve cover gasket and rear cam seals. These often fail (multiple times in my case), dump oil all over the turbo and, from below, it looks like a turbo leak. When turbos leak oil it either goes into the intake or out the exhaust, it does not saturate an area. Cam seals, on the other hand, will saturate everthing and anything!

The sound was most likely your secondary air pump.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 10-06-2011, 05:57 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

frankenturbos are a definite upgrade from the K03. however, you claim not to have deep pockets but so far you list of "I plan to do" is making ME cringe. You have me thinking second mortgage,even if you and your buddy do the work yourselves.

your cheapest option would be to replace your failing turbos with OEM BorgWarner K03s. you can still upgrade with a chip later, when you have funding, for modest gains.

keep in mind that good turbos are not cheap, cheap turbos are not good. do not try to save money by purchasing inferior parts.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:59 PM
1st Gear

okay i will take a look at that. could my mechanic possibly have made that mistake? thing is im stuck with this car. and i love it and want to keep it and put work into it and learn everything about audi. but im only 19 and just starting out. this may seem like a dumb question, but how would i go about determining if its a valve cover gasket or rear cam seal? thanks.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

yeah everyones been giving me that reaction when i say im doing it myself. my buddy graduated from UTI and got a degree in something like performance modification and computer tuning. and ive seen his projects and hes pulled many engines out and completely rebuilt them etc. is replacing turbos on an audi really that hard? i will have enough money to replace the turbos, i just want the best option for the most power for the least amount of money. i definitely do not want cheap parts, so i will not purchase any. im thinking that the frankens are the way to go if you agree. but then again i am the noob here, what do i know. in my opinion 2000$ for a complete turbo with install kit isnt to bad and should satisify my needs for now. i know what i want, i just dont know what the right thing is to do. any more imput?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:59 PM
1st Gear

quickest way to tell if your turbos are failing: first thing in the morning when you start the car have someone look at the exhaust and have them look for smoke. bluish. if it does its your turbos. OH and the sound you hear if its only heard on COLD starts FOR about 1 mins and thn goes away its NOT your turbos its your secondary air injection.

also after the engine has warmed up completely give the car a WOT and listen for extraordinary sounds from the turbos.

Audi S4 B5 "Dentist Drill" blown turbo - YouTube

if it sounds like this then its your turbos. look into these FrankenTurbo | F4 Hybrid Bi-Turbos for Audi 2.7T
they are very high quality and will offer more power than the stock.
it starts at $1800 and id say have maybe $1000 for labor if not more.

also keep checking the oil level and add if necessary

Quick Reply: Need help with info on replacing turbos on 2.7T