Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help please help pissed!!!!! single mother

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Need help please help pissed!!!!! single mother

Heres my story

My theromstat blew on my 2000 Audi a6 . My car over heated.
So I got it towed to Midas auto serivce .

They took a look at my car and tell me I need a new water pump .Timming belt.. & therenostat . Total was $1,199 . I paid it they repaired the car . After driving the car for 20 mins my car started over heating and I lost heat.

I'm a single mother. I'm returning the car back tommrow so they can fix it.

I feel like I've been takn advantage of. Please someone tell me what the problem is. I don't trust these Midas guys.

Help please

Thanks in advance .
Kim

Old 10-27-2012, 04:29 PM
1st Gear

There can be a number of reasons the car has overheated again:
1. They did not bleed the cooling system properly and there is air in the system.
2. One of the fans is not working – fan failure or not re-connected (electric)
3. Incorrect or faulty thermostat or installation problem
4. Other radiator problem

I am sure I missed other causes and someone else may chime in. As for the $1,199 cost of the service, that does not sound out of line if they used quality parts and did the complete job properly. I would suggest finding a local shop that specializes in Audi’s in the future as they do require a knowledgeable and competent technician.

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2012, 02:36 PM
3rd Gear

Kim, you did not mention the mileage or engine, but around 80-90k miles you should have the timing belt replaced and you do waterpump, t-stat, belts, and all tensioners at the same time. A good indie shop charges $1000-1200 depending upon the engine, and a dealer will be in the $1500 range. So those charges are reasonable. If it is still over heating, it could be one of the problems below and if it was due to the repair, I would expect Midas to make it right. I have had good success with them with many of my American cars, but the Audi's go to an indie shop that specializes in German cars.

Not sure what you mean by "my car started over heating and I lost heat." Lost heat? From what, the interior heater? How could you tell the car was over heating -- what did the temperature gauge do?

Old 10-29-2012, 10:29 AM
1st Gear

Yes . When I turn on the heat in the car it doesn't blow hot. The temp gauge just starts beeping and the sensor goes off.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 AM
1st Gear

Thanks alot everyone. if anyone eles has any ideas of what it may be please let me know. Thank you

Old 10-29-2012, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

I would think air in the system or worse--- warped head. I am new to Audi's but mechanical and motor stuff is all pretty straight across the board. I would assume they did not bleed it properly like CRF Rider said and I personally would hold the shop liable for any further damage.

should be only air though since you said there wasnt heat from the heater