Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need New Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Need New Transmission?

So I turned on my 99 A6 Quattro 2.8L this morning (it was about 25 degrees F) and moved it to the end of my driveway, where I put it in park. After about a minute, I felt the car shake a little bit for about two seconds. I put the car in drive, pressed the gas, and all that happened was my engine revved up as it does when in neutral. I tried putting the car in reverse, and the same thing happened. The car then turned off. I turned the car back on, and it worked just fine, until I stopped for about 10 seconds, when the same thing happened again.

Do I need a new transmission? What will this cost me?

Thanks for your help!

Also, I put in fuel injector cleaner the day before, could this have anything to do with my problems?

Last edited by 99A6Quattro; 02-16-2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention fuel injector cleaner
Old 02-16-2009, 07:02 PM
2nd Gear

Any codes?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:31 PM
1st Gear

fuel injector cleaner is unrelated. Was their any whining noises coming from the car or anything.....Does it go into gear at all now? A little more info before diagnosing that it needs a tranny.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 AM
3rd Gear

I may be wrong - but I would check the tranny fluid level before getting too excited.

The problem is that checking the level is not simple. It involves using a VAGCom to monitor the trans oil temp while it heats up. Below a certain temp the fluid should not drip out an open hole and it should just begin dripping at the prescribed temperature. It isn't rocket science but does require some patience and a few beers.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:30 AM
2nd Gear

Second the ATF level.
(your transmission should be 5HP19FLA)

It seems to me the problems could be electrical related.

Check codes.
Check fuses.
Tiptronic switch operation.

How is it operating in Sport mode, in Manual shift mode?

I'd suggest to look into replacing the tranny as a last resort because it will cost more than the current value of the car.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 PM

Mine has an issue as well. Jolt into 3rd followed by a 500 rpm jump while shifting into fourth. Tip mode downshifting results a bang into 2nd and a bang into 1st and not a nice rmp pick up downshift.. Also when stopped at a light, fluttering happens and a harsh engagement whele stepping on the peddle when starting to move.. This can happen in reverse as well. Fluid changed and new filter and still didnt fix issue. You can also hear a groan in the tranny when in reverse at a stop. Any opinions well appreciated!

As for 99A6Quattro, I really do suggest looking at low fluid issues as you could have easily developed a line leak somewhere and in this weather, it's hard to notice fluid leaks, especially in the rain and cold weather.. But the car turning off??? Check passenger side floorboard for wetness, as the TCM (transmission control module) located under carpwet in front of passenger seat may be wet, and I have had an issue with this before, and yes it will cause your car to act like it's in neutral if line pressure is changing (told by the TCM) and drops below operating pressure. You may havee a wet TCM..

Last edited by freakaftr8; 02-17-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

The car is driving ok now, but I haven't driven it much since.

I did spill some soda on the passenger seat about a week ago, could this have damaged the TCM? If so, what should I do about this?

Also, how would I go about taking care of the fluid level issue (if there is one)? I'm pretty sure I can't do it myself, so what would you recommend for me to do?

Also, no I have not heard any whining noises. Not that I know of, at least.

I don't ever use the tiptronic mode; I do not know how to use it .

Last edited by 99A6Quattro; 02-17-2009 at 10:15 PM. Reason: whining noises, tiptronic
Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 99A6Quattro
Also, how would I go about taking care of the fluid level issue (if there is one)? I'm pretty sure I can't do it myself, so what would you recommend for me to do?
Take a peak here, it may spark a light bulb.

I think you should be able to unscrew the fill plug and reach with your finger or a little made-up "dip-stick" from paper or some material that allows you to see the fluid on it.
Then you can pull it out and check against the outside of the pan to get a good idea of the level.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:16 AM
3rd Gear

You can't do what chefro sugests on my 97 2.8 Avant.

The motor has to be running when you pull the plug or the fluid just runs out the hole.

I learned the hard way!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

If the fluid runs out, all you have to do is fill it back up, right? Or am I oversimplifying it?

I'm becoming more and more sure that the problem is in the TCM, is this an easy part to change? What should it run me?

Quick Reply: Need New Transmission?