Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some body work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 09:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Need some body work.

Recently my sister hit the front right fender on my 2001 A-6...needless to say i was upset. Luckily, i was able to get a replacement fender from carjunky.com, which if you have not looked at that site it is great. What i am trying to find out is whether or not i can replace the fender myself? Luckily the part came in black and my car is black...i am putting a clearcoat on it tonight, but i want to see how difficult it would be to replace this myself. I am not a mechanic by any means, but i can get by...i would love to say a few bucks doing this myself. Also, if anyone ever has a torque convertor go bad in there audi, i feel bad for you because after it is all said and done it cost me about $4,500.00. Thanks for any help someone can give me.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:17 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need some body work.

I JUST finished replacing my fender last night on my all black 02. I speak from experience with this so pay attention.

There are ALOT of well hidden bolts, screws, etc involved with this replacement. To begin with the hardest bolts are hidden in and aroundthe door jamb area. If my memory serves me right there were 6 bolts within the door jamb area, and a few pesky screws as well. If you have some patience, don't mine getting dirty, and have the tools go for it.

The tools necessary are a full set of Torx Bits, I used everything froma T-20 to a T-30. Most all of the bolts are Torx, and yes they suck and like to strip if you aren't careful. You will have to remove your headlight as well which is a pain in the ***. I think the most annoying part for me was figuring out which bolts went where as I was re-assembling, and of course lining the fender up properly.

Unfortunately for myself I hit a wall in the winted while parking. My front bumper got shoved back and crumpled up the fender. After I replaced the fender, and the headlight, I have found that the front bumper sticks out to the sides too much, and the headlight is an inch or so further in than it should be, or the bumper is an inch or so further out. I really don't know. All I know is it looks dang ugly, and I plan to take it to a body shop to have a professional look at it and finish the job I started.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:33 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need some body work.

Thanks...I guess i am going to have to take a closer look...i do have some patience but if it has to be lined up perfectly than may be i should take it to a body shop. Unfortunately, there is no job on an Audi that is cheap in the shop for me because i dont have alot of mechanics around where i live that give me any breaks. I am going to take a look at the service manual i got again and see what it entails...to be honest i dont have a lot of extra time, so we will have to see. Did you put the clear coat on yourself? Luckily, the fender is black so all i should have to do is put a clear coat on it. thanks for your help.