Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2001 4.2 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:57 AM
1st Gear
Default New 2001 4.2 Owner

Hello to all,

I have had my eyes on a 4.2 A6 for years and finally decided to get one when the wife said "I want an AWD car this winter for our commuter car". SOLD, I know exactly what to get dear! Anyhow, here I am!

I love this car with everything holy. This is the best and most well rounded car I have ever owned. It has at least a moderate amount of everything you want in a car. Styling, comfort, ride, handling, performance... I don't know, Pinache, for lack of a better way to put it. I've owned faster cars (I had a supercharged 1996 Trans Am with 530hp) but it just went da__ fast, in a straight line. That's about it.

Long story short, I love this car to death already. I've been warned about them so I am ready for some repair bills. However, they just replaced all brake pads & rotors, all struts, timing belt w/water pump and all idler pullies, CV axels, the washer fluid and coolant overflow tanks, all brand new tires, O2 sensors and every fluid in the car. This car is incredibly clean and was always garaged. Interior looks brand new and you could count on one hand how many pits are in the front mask area from road debris. Apparently, the owner of the dealer's son drove this while at Dartmouth University and decided he wanted an brand new S8 a month after they put $6000 worth of work into it... rough life.

So- that was my story, sorry for the bio that I am sure all of you have read 100 times or more by now. Thank you for your time on that

On to my first of many questions to come:

Is there an online user's guide for the car I can download? Mine didn't come with one and I am struggling to figure out the infinite amount of creature comforts this car has to offer.

I will wait on my other questions until I have successfully parused the search feature on this site. I know there is nothing more annoying to moderators and veterans than someone coming on and asking questions easily searchable and have been asked 500 times already.

Thank you all!

~George

Old 09-26-2008, 08:33 AM
2nd Gear

You can find Owner's manuals on ebay. You will want one!

You didn't mention the mileage not if the front control arms and tie rod ends have been replaced. Other than that, it looks like you got a heck of a deal!

Congratulations!

Bob

Old 09-26-2008, 12:27 PM
2nd Gear

Good Buy....My 4.2 has been Ultra reliable. I have done all of the required maintenance and replaced things as needed. The cas hasn't cost me much at all to own. Here is a link that is a compilation of information. It was built by a guy from AUDIWORLD.com: Great DB of DIY and other sources of info.

http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html

Enjoy and congrats on your buy.

--P

Old 09-26-2008, 01:05 PM
1st Gear

Good information guys, thank you! This is the sort of info I am looking for!

Bob, they did not say anything about the FRONT control arms, however, they said they replace the rear left one as it was "chewing up tires". How will I know when control arms are needed? I suppose, when my tires get munched up really fast?

Thanks for the insight gentlemen, I appreciate it!

Old 09-27-2008, 04:04 AM
1st Gear

look for the manual under the steering wheel in a lil still on the dash. I thought i didn't have one when i got my car too.