Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New A6 Owner...looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 05:49 PM
1st Gear
Default New A6 Owner...looking for advice

So, last Saturday I bought a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro with the tiptronic automatic. Let me say this car has a very high wow factor. I'm used to a big full size car coming off of a 96 Chevy Impala SS. I'm amazed this little car is as quick as it is. In fact, even considering the mods that I had done to my Imp, I think this car will take it easily.

I'm in need of some advice on what mods to purchase for this car. So far, I've only been able to find a Milltek exhaust and EVO ECU tuning for it. Actually, I'm confused. I'm not even so sure what I've found is for my A6. Why are things so difficult to find for the Quattro version? Is there something I'm missing? Can I expect to find things like turbo upgrades, suspension upgrades, motor upgrades like I can for any other Audi? Are there any sites where it's obvious these items work on my car? Also, wheels-wise. What exactly should I look for when ordering wheels? When I search by A6 at rims sites, I never see anything to take in account that my car is Quattro and not standard. Does it matter when purchasing rims? I've seen a few that say, "does not work on 2.7T Quattro". That's pretty damn clear to me. Can anyone help me? Please? Thanks in advance.

-John

Also, is there any information in changing/replacing the led dash display? There are a few burnt leds, and I'm afraid I'll have to live with it forever.

Old 04-06-2006, 06:14 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New A6 Owner...looking for advice

Congrats on your new car!

I had a 2001 2.7T, and let me say one thing, I really do miss that spring off the line, very quick, and I was not even chipped. I sold it recently and went to the 4.2 V8.

Anyway, I have tried a number of wheels on the 2.7T. The real challenge is finding wheels that will fit over the HP2 brake calipers in front. Those things are quite meaty, and will be a problem if the whl has the wrong offset (centerline of the wheel in relation to the mounting surface on the hub), or the wrong shape spoke.

If you go to the Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com), there is a pretty good tool to use to view wheels taht will fit your car with no need for spacers. There are quite a few choices out there for you.

As far as suspension upgrades, I HIGHLY recommend the H-sport anti-sway bars. They are much beefier than stock, and makes the car corner on rails. On and off-ramps are easily taken at speed. You also can't beat the cost (about $400 new for the parts, and DIY install with ramps and wrenches).

Also, I had H&R coilovers to lower the ride a bit. I tried different spring/shock combos, but most of them either lowered the car too much, or they settled unevenly. Coilovers allow you to adjust the ride height, so you can fine tune the look and feel. I am currently considering the Bilstein PSS9 coilovers for the 4.2

Anyway, enjoy the new car, make sure you let the oil reach 175 degrees before you stomp on the gas, and let the car run for about a minute before you shut down so the turbos can cool down a bit.

For more info about my car, go to: my registry page on AudiWorld.com

Old 04-06-2006, 08:00 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: DrivenA6

Also, is there any information in changing/replacing the led dash display? There are a few burnt leds, and I'm afraid I'll have to live with it forever.
As for the performance and exhaust awetuning is a good place to start.
here's a link to there exhaust

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...fm&PPT=Exhaust

they are pretty clear for which one you need to order for your car at the product page
they also have suspension, chips everything you need and if you want to really really fast you can get the rsko4 turbo upgrade, although it's prolly like half the price of the car i think they are like 8g's or something.
http://www.evolutionsports.com/
Another really good place to go. They are really good people there. you can eneter your car info at the top and it will give you a list of categories that they have for your car.

As for the LED thing... the only way to replace it is by getting a used one from another car and it is the full instrument panel...the only thing about that is it will have what ever mileage was on the old car and then you will have rolled back mileage which is not good to have.
My led actually does the same thing kinda. If i start the car sometimes its fine some times there is a line missing. next time i start my car it will be fine or there will be a different line missing but the one that was missing before would work fine if that makes sense to you. so you might just want to see if the same thing happens.
tirerack should be a good place to go they are pretty accurate with finding wheels that will go on your car and they have a big selection.

Ohh yea "little car" hahaha last time i checked a6's were not little they are a 2 ton car although they do handle pretty good for being big. lol
I know you'll enjoy the audi, it must feel a ton better than the impala and a lot faster

Old 04-06-2006, 09:37 PM
1st Gear

I had this feeling I wouldn't be able to fix the display in the dash. No. I don't want odometer rollback. I'm good. I'll just be jealous of all other Audis that have fully functioning led displays.

I would like to know why the cigarette lighters in the front and back aren't working though. I'm not smoking in the car like the previous owners did. I'm just looking to having everything working. Same thing with the windshield washer bottle under the hood. I think it has a hole in it or something. Today at lunch, I filled it up, went inside, ate, came back to leave, and noticed the driveway was all wet. I'm assuming I can get that at a dealer or directly from Audi. There are other issues too. I'm missing the actual ashtray insert for the front and passenger's side rear tray spots. Plus, other things are missing like the cd changer cassette (already have 2 on order), and the hazard triangle (will be ordering that soon). What exactly goes in that "first aid" area in the rear armrest? Whatever it is, I don't have it. I'd like to have the car whole again, but if I can't, I'd be happy with the cover plate to the cup holder in the front and a replacment cup holder for right in front of the front armrest. Everything else seems to be ok, but the car has this vibration (I think it's a vibration) coming from the front driver's side of the car when I hit a bump or something. Hopefully, I'll be taking it to the dealership for a 7500 checkup tomorrow. I'm at 50k on the dial now (which was another selling point for me).

Old 04-06-2006, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

I had this feeling I wouldn't be able to fix the display in the dash. No. I don't want odometer rollback. I'm good. I'll just be jealous of all other Audis that have fully functioning led displays.

I would like to know why the cigarette lighters in the front and back aren't working though. I'm not smoking in the car like the previous owners did. I'm just looking to having everything working. Same thing with the windshield washer bottle under the hood. I think it has a hole in it or something. Today at lunch, I filled it up, went inside, ate, came back to leave, and noticed the driveway was all wet. I'm assuming I can get that at a dealer or directly from Audi. There are other issues too. I'm missing the actual ashtray insert for the front and passenger's side rear tray spots. Plus, other things are missing like the cd changer cassette (already have 2 on order), and the hazard triangle (will be ordering that soon). What exactly goes in that "first aid" area in the rear armrest? Whatever it is, I don't have it. I'd like to have the car whole again, but if I can't, I'd be happy with the cover plate to the cup holder in the front and a replacment cup holder for right in front of the front armrest. Everything else seems to be ok, but the car has this vibration (I think it's a vibration) coming from the front driver's side of the car when I hit a bump or something. Hopefully, I'll be taking it to the dealership for a 7500 checkup tomorrow. I'm at 50k on the dial now (which was another selling point for me).
You might want to look for some of the replacement parts on ebay.. from the dealership everything is soooo expensive. i bought a replacement cup holder voer not even a cupholder just the cover for the one in the rear seat and it cost me $48 or something like that...
The first aid kit came with a pair of scissors it like cit the baidages that were also in it bandades first aid tape and a couple other things in a little pouch that fit in to the arm rest.
and the led thing i think that happens on most audi and vw i've seen quite a few with the same things or worse....they don't work anymore.
i would love to clear up anyother issues that you have i'll look through my first aid kit to see what else is in there...or if i missed a question i'd be happy to at least try to answer it.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:27 AM
1st Gear

I can't wait to mod my A6. It already seems so much faster than my Impala. I can only imagine how much it will pull after I have a cat back, intake, chip for the motor and tranny installed. I've been unable to find ashtray inserts. I was hoping to be able to purchase just the cover plate of the cupholder. The cupholder works fine, just the cover is missing. I wonder if I can get a first aid kit from Audi. Who knows? I'm going to be buying a cover and some floor mats soon. Any tips on the floor mats I should get? I was thinking just getting the factory Audi carpeted 20 oz mats with Audi embroidered on them. I did see some floor mats on Ebay that had rubber backs and the floor snaps, but it didn't have Audi embroidered. I really appreciate all of your tips thus far. I can't wait to smoke all 4 which should be happening relatively soon.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:59 AM
1st Gear

just a tip of advice .... make sure you check for recalls...

I just bought a 00 A6 2.7 and had the car catch fire the same day I picked it up... there was a problem with the headlight harness and Audi has issued a recall on the car....

Old 04-07-2006, 03:42 AM
1st Gear

I can't wait to mod my A6. It already seems so much faster than my Impala. I can only imagine how much it will pull after I have a cat back, intake, chip for the motor and tranny installed. I've been unable to find ashtray inserts. I was hoping to be able to purchase just the cover plate of the cupholder. The cupholder works fine, just the cover is missing. I wonder if I can get a first aid kit from Audi. Who knows? I'm going to be buying a cover and some floor mats soon. Any tips on the floor mats I should get? I was thinking just getting the factory Audi carpeted 20 oz mats with Audi embroidered on them. I did see some floor mats on Ebay that had rubber backs and the floor snaps, but it didn't have Audi embroidered. I really appreciate all of your tips thus far. I can't wait to smoke all 4 which should be happening relatively soon.
Go with monster mats they are the best and it does say a6 on them. You can get a cupholder cover from the dealship but it's goin cost you my rear one was $48 and they are pretty much the same as the front one.
audi first aid kit on ebay
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...kit&category0=