Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New A6 owner - question about climate control

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Default New A6 owner - question about climate control

Well, for those that saw my first thread about the oil light, I decided to buy the car. It turned out to just be the sensor and I'm going to send off a sample of oil to be tested anyway to make sure there isn't an adverse wear, etc.

Anyway, on to my question. Everything seems to work as it should, but I don't have an owner's manual for the car, so I don't know if this is normal (doubt it tho). When I have the a/c on, it blows out of the top (defroster), vents, and footwell area all at once. If I push the button that is an arrow pointing "up", it goes just defroster, if I push "down" = just footwell, but if I push the one in between them (I'm assuming vents - it's a box w/ lines going across) then nothing changes. The light doesn't come on, etc. Although this isn't a huge deal, I already find it annoying b/c if I leave it on all three, then the windshield gets condensation where the vent is blowing. Is this common? An easy fix?

Old 06-06-2009, 11:23 AM
3rd Gear

Arrow up - directs the air to the windshield + front windows; the outlets are the 5 on top of the dash board
Box with lines - all the vents should be working (including the ones in the rear)
Arrow Down - footwell outlets, as you said.

You should be able to see when all three settings are selected (and feel, too, of course). There are little "icons" appearing on the display panel as you make your selection(s).
If you can't select the "vents", then maybe your climate control unit needs being replaced.
Maybe is something else the dealer "forgot" to mention.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:31 PM

On what display panel? The multifunction in between tach & speedo? My climatronic (VW name - not sure if it applies to Audi too) has a red light for each individual button - the "vent only" one doesn't light up when pressed - guess that's why it doesn't blow only through the vents. Hmmm. It is a 7yr old car, so I expect some minor things and I went into this knowing these cars are expensive and can be problematic. I guess I'll have to price this issue out.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear

Don't take this the wrong way but are the vents on? wheels turned to open position? other wise sounds like the flap is messed up.

If there are no lights on it will blow out the vents.

If the vent light or a combination of an arrow and vent light are on it will blow out the vents.

Basically the square vent button is if you put it on defrost but would also like vents, other wise an illuminated arrow button will direct all flow to defrost or floor and cut out the vent completely.

Try that out and if it doesn't work I would say the flap is stuck or motor went out or is not getting power or something like that.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:08 PM
4th Gear

Hit Auto and see what happens..

Old 06-07-2009, 12:40 AM
2nd Gear

It thinks for itself in Auto. Scarey! Haven't you seen Terminator. I'm surprised mine doesn't nagg at me in German.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:05 AM
3rd Gear

Achtung! Achtung!
"Damn, is hot outside; I better turn on the A/C compressor immediately as my owner turns the key on. That would save him a hand stretch to touch the button"

Good thing they didn't have this automatized technology back in 40s. The genocide would have had ten fold proportions.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jackmup
Don't take this the wrong way but are the vents on? wheels turned to open position? other wise sounds like the flap is messed up.

If there are no lights on it will blow out the vents.

If the vent light or a combination of an arrow and vent light are on it will blow out the vents.

Basically the square vent button is if you put it on defrost but would also like vents, other wise an illuminated arrow button will direct all flow to defrost or floor and cut out the vent completely.

Try that out and if it doesn't work I would say the flap is stuck or motor went out or is not getting power or something like that.
Yeah, the vents are open - I'm sure stranger things have happened though!!

When no lights are on, it blows out of the vents, defroster & MAYBE footwell (had jeans and shoes on, so I didn't notice it if it did, but it would've been so light considering it was blowing out of everywhere). Then, like I mentioned, if I push "up" or "down", it blows just out of those respective places. If I push "vents", then no change. I have to turn off the "up" or "down" to get it to blow back out of everywhere.

Now, you say w/ no lights, it will blow out of the vents. Is it suppose to blow out of the defroster too? I find this really annoying b/c I get two large condensation spots in the dead center of my windshield.

Finally, I've found several a/c panels for sale on vwvortex & ebay - all around $150 or less. Do you think my problem lies w/ my unit (given the "vent" light NEVER comes on) or is it something else internally? Thanks for all the help!!

Old 06-07-2009, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear

Something is wrong with the direction gates or vanes inside.
If the control is shutting off defrost,vent and floor but won't do vent only it may have broken they are made of plasitic. and usually have plastic arms attached to an actuator.

The air flow flaps and actuators are under the hood, near the fresh air intake. You can see if it is moving correctly.
one of the arms probably cracked or the fastener fell off you may be able to locate the problem just by having a look. could be as simple as a new fastener, one of those little star clips.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jackmup
Something is wrong with the direction gates or vanes inside.
If the control is shutting off defrost,vent and floor but won't do vent only it may have broken they are made of plasitic. and usually have plastic arms attached to an actuator.

The air flow flaps and actuators are under the hood, near the fresh air intake. You can see if it is moving correctly.
one of the arms probably cracked or the fastener fell off you may be able to locate the problem just by having a look. could be as simple as a new fastener, one of those little star clips.
Thanks. I'll check that out. My only concern that it might NOT be a flap issue is b/c the "vent" light doesn't turn on when I press the button. That's why I'm leaning more towards electrical / a/c panel issue.

Quick Reply: New A6 owner - question about climate control