Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Audi a6 3.0t

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:03 PM
1st Gear
Default New Audi a6 3.0t

Anyone own or driven one? Wondering what your thoughts are on this car. Considering this as next car, but nervous since its the first year out for this engine. Thoughts on that?

Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 AM
3rd Gear

I don't think about Audi's until they are at least 5 years old because I can"t afford the new ones.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:12 AM
1st Gear

I would be a little nervious on any 1st year redesign German cars, in this case, 1st year design engine. Early reports note that the powertrain sometimes lags, as much as a second before power kicks in. I did not notice it on my test drive. Very nice car over all, but cost almost $10,000 more than the 08 if you consider all the year end discounts for the 08.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by the G man
I would be a little nervious on any 1st year redesign German cars, in this case, 1st year design engine. Early reports note that the powertrain sometimes lags, as much as a second before power kicks in. I did not notice it on my test drive. Very nice car over all, but cost almost $10,000 more than the 08 if you consider all the year end discounts for the 08.
Yeah, thats a hard pill to swallow on the price. I wouldnt be happy with the 3.2 so would have to go with the 8 cylinder 4.2. THe cost is more on that and it gets considerably worse fuel economy. I am personally tired of averaging under 18 mpg in my current A6. This new engine is supposed to average about 21 mpg. Now with the way they do those ratings Im sure I probably wouldnt get 21 mpg, but it would have to be better than what the 8 cylinder gets.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:30 PM

Hi,

I own an 06 a6 4.2 Sline and when i drive to work and back, about 30 miles round trip no freeway, i average about 19mpg. Now i get this, driving normal, no hard accelerations. However on the freeway i average about 28-32 sometimes. Now i have to tell you, this is the best car ive ever owned in my life and it is a blast. So for the power you get out if the 4.2 vs the MPG is damn worth it in my opinion. good luck on your new car hunt, i hope it goes well and I read your other post about the tranny, Ouch sorry to hear that

Old 03-06-2009, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

The 08 4.2 is about the same price as the 09 3.0 right now, and the performance is about the same, but the 3.0 gets better mileage. I think I would rather have the 09 3.0 with the LED DRL.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:25 PM

Indeed,

However when considering a used a6 I believe the 4.2 is better than the 3.2. The new 3.0 i know little of and yes of course i would love to have an 09 if i could afford it. However first year engines on an audi is a little scary too though

Old 03-06-2009, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by lyosha
Hi,

I own an 06 a6 4.2 Sline and when i drive to work and back, about 30 miles round trip no freeway, i average about 19mpg. Now i get this, driving normal, no hard accelerations. However on the freeway i average about 28-32 sometimes. Now i have to tell you, this is the best car ive ever owned in my life and it is a blast. So for the power you get out if the 4.2 vs the MPG is damn worth it in my opinion. good luck on your new car hunt, i hope it goes well and I read your other post about the tranny, Ouch sorry to hear that
19 mpg isnt too bad considering the size of the engine. Have to look at this option also. Sure I would be able to pick up an 08 pretty cheap now since nothing is moving on their lot. Ghost town.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by lyosha
Indeed,

However when considering a used a6 I believe the 4.2 is better than the 3.2. The new 3.0 i know little of and yes of course i would love to have an 09 if i could afford it. However first year engines on an audi is a little scary too though
the dealership I buy from give you a lifetime warranty on the engine/drivetrain as long as you do all of your service work with them. I have this on my present car which they have : put on 2 new turbos, new head gaskets, oil cooler, and a new transmission all at no cost to me. I was told the tranny alone was between 6-8k. I guess this makes buying the first model year a little easier to cope with.