Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Audi... How have the 99 A6's been?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Default New to Audi... How have the 99 A6's been?

Im very new to owning Audi's. Overall how has reliability been on 99 A6 2.8 quattro. My fiance had it as her car since 2003. She had serviced at dealer and doesnt have papers. So I have no idea what has been wrong if anything. She hasnt really had any problems. I did notice temp guage is inop and rear end is leaking oil. I did some searching on here to see common fixes of these items.

Anyways, I just bought her a Q7 so Ill be driving the A6 as my daily driver. Im selling my Volvo. I work for Volvo , so Audi is new to me. What can I expect. Was 99 a good or bad year. Just trying to get familair with this car as I'll prbably drive it for 1-2 years.

Thanks

Old 03-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Default RE: New to Audi... How have the 99 A6's been?

I currently own a '99 A6 2.8. I have had no problems with the car outside of regular maintenence.
Keep the car in good condition and it'll continue to be a great daily driver. It is my only car and serves that purpose very well here in Toronto (Quattro is my favourite for obvious reasons with it being Toronto).
The fact that it is a non-turbo motor gives reliability a boost and it should continue to be a solid performer for years to come. I know I have no plans to sell mine.

If she has had it serviced at the same dealer for the life of the car, they can probably tell you what has been done.
When you say the rear end is leaking oil where is it leaking from; can you isolate it?

I think you're going to like it as a daily driver, especially with the other 2 cars you own to supplement when you're not driving the A6 haha.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear its been a good car for you. Im going to take to my local dealer and have them do a free 41 point inspection. At least that way I can kind of get an idea of what exactly is leaking. It looks to be from one of the seals directly in the middle of rear end diff area.

Welll hopefully I'll get through a few more trouble free years.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:36 AM

i have a 99 a6 2.8 with 100000. needs new cvs, vavle cover gasket temp sensor and trans filter and fill. have a small problem with oil leak in cold weather. 20 mpg drive it!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:38 AM
Site Moderator

A free41 point inspection? right.... More like a 12 point gravy inspection.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:13 PM
3rd Gear

If she's had the work done at the dealership, they should be able to give you the complete maintenance and repair history, including any recalls that were/were not applied.

Hey - your fiancee has great taste in cars!