Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here - future C6 owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:06 PM
1st Gear
Default New here - future C6 owner

Good evening gentlemen, just giving a hello, as well as a few questions.
In just a few short weeks I will be the proud owner of a brand new (used) baby Audi A6 (05 or 06).
I would just like to know what sort of things i should be looking for in terms of pricing, mileage, and problem spots that should be apparent before I buy.
I plan on paying mostly in cash, with the rest financed. this will be the first car i've bought all on my own. i am looking to get one from a dealer, preferrably with a certified preowned warrenty (is it worth it?)

My previous cars include a B5 A4, which i poured more money into than i care to list here, and a 00 ford ranger, which still ruins, however unfortunately.

cheers =)

Old 05-11-2008, 03:01 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: New here - future C6 owner

I havean 05 4.2 that I purchased new. As far as reliability, she is ok, but she is no Lexus. But she is alot of fun to drive. Most of the problems have been nuisances.

The airbag light came on two weeks after I purchased the car. It took them 10 days to figure out the problem. Audi then came out with a TSB on updating the computer software for the airbags.

The MMI "crashed" a year after I bought the car. After having the car for 8 days, Audi wiped the hardware clean and reinstalled the MMI computer software.

The MMI had a few bugs with not updating the satellite radio stations, losing surround settings and sometimes not automatically linking with my bluetooth phone. Audi had the car for a day and updated the MMI computer software. Audi has a TSB on this issue as well.

I have written those three problems off to having a very early computer software version. To give you an idea of the number of changes in the software, my car came with MMI version 10 and now has version 33. Since being updated to MMI version 33, about a year ago, I have not had any computer issues. I understand that there is now a version 41 that is available.

As far as non-computer issues. I have had quite a few. The first was that all 8 coil packs had to be replaced. The second was the lid for the gas cap would not open from inside the car. In order to open it I had to wedge my credit card inside the lid and open it from the outside. Audi had the car for 2 days to fix these problems. The third was that the frame for the front passenger seat came loose and the entire seat had to be removed and the bolts tightened. The fourth was a rattle in the glove box area of the dashboard. The fifth was a bad tire pressure sensor. The sixth was a mildew smell from the air conditioner vents, which required the replacement of a ventilation duct. The seventh was a rattle from the rear fold down seats, which required a new clamp. The eighthisa rattle from the drivers side of the dashboard, whichrequired additional damping material. The ninth is the fuel filter recall, which required a new fuel filter. The tenth is the fuel gauge sometimes reads empty even though there is fuel in the tank, which required a computer software upgrade. The eleventh is that the transmission developed a chirping and the transmission software had to be upgraded. The twelfth is that the coolant light would come on for no reason, which required an upgraded electrical circuit. The thirteenth is that the power steering reservoir leaked, which required a revised clamp. Fourteenth, the front brakes developed a vibration at slow speeds and the brake caliper seals had to be replaced due to a re-design. Currently, my car has been in the shop for 14 days waiting for the part to correct a groaning noise from the motorized tilt and telescoping steering column. Similar to the computer issues discussed above,Audi has TSBs on all19 of these issues, seeming to indicate that theproblems are not isolated to just my car. Audi has also issued dozens of other TSBs on issues that I have not experienced sinceI have the 4.2 engine instead of the 3.2 engine. In total, the 3.2 hasapproximately 191 TSBs, whichis Audi'slingo for an unpublished recall. If you complain about these items while the car is under warranty, Audi will fix the problem for free, which sounds like a recall to me.

Despite the car being at the dealer for 36 days for repairs during the last 36 months, not maintenance, I would certainly buy the car again because the 4.2is alot of fun to drive, especially on the highway,and the dealer gives me a loaner. However, I would check which MMI software version is currently in the car. If it is below 33, I would take it to Audi and have it updated as soon as possible. In addition, I would check the car's VIN and compare it to the Audi TSBs and see what issues you need to keep an eye on. You can get copies of the Audi TSBs at eBahn's website. While the car is still under warranty, I would make sure you complain about any issues contained on the TSBs issued for your VIN.

Regardless of your decision, you will enjoy driving an Audi, but you may not enjoy the maintenance. I suggest that you get an extended warranty. Good luck.

Kevin

Old 05-11-2008, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

Thanks man. I will definitely keep all of that in mind. I feel your pain with the repair time, as my A4 was in the shop about half the time i owned it, before i finally decided to just get rid of it. But I still don't regret it as my first car. Driving it was much more enjoyable than anything I've ever driven before.

I'm not too familar with service bulletins, but i will do some research into the matter. as well as for the MMI.
one question, after poking around a little bit, are these TSBs only for the 05 model year, or do they apply to an entire platform?

excuse my ignorance, but this is never something i've ever really had information on, and i would like to learn as much as i can.

thanks in advance!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:36 AM
2nd Gear

Most of the TSBs (95%) apply to the other years as well. The other years have some TSBs of their own as well.