Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 01:37 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default New owner!

Yes.. this thread is worthless without pics. But on the positive side, I just bought my first Audi. I picked up a 2002 A6 2.7 T six-speed manual, silver w/sport package (silver ext./black int.). The old owner was a pleasure to deal with. The drive home to L.A. from San Diego had too much traffic to really have fun, but I was in heaven nevertheless.... gotta love that Bose system. It seems like this car has so much to offer in terms of luxury, performance and practicality. Picking one up used gave me a decent price too. Everything seems really good so far. I got a bit of warranty (03/08) included in the deal and am going to hold off on mods (the car is all stock) until I get some minor dents pulled, and everything mechanical has been looked over really well. I know these cars can get expensive, so I'd rather keep up on the maintenance than wait for stuff to break.

I just wanted to reintroduce myself officially as a new owner. Pics will follow, but I'm sure you have all seen a stock A6 before. I am looking forward to learning more about my car from this community and will do my best to be helpful and not a PITA.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:05 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: New owner!

You picked the older version of mine, and I hope you enjoy it as much. It's a great car, but keep up with the scheduled maintenance. Read through the posts in this forum - you can do a search on 2.7T to whittle them down. The go-button on your A6 will take you to 133, which is electronically governed. When you start thinking about chip upgrades, that can be eliminated.

It's a great vehicle - a luxury, sports, touring sedan all wrapped up in one package.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:45 AM
SoCal Crew Member

I was wondering why I was bouncing off 133. I am definitely going to go apr for the ecu upgrade. I was going to get the bipipes and a better diverter valve at the same time. It will be hard to hold off on that for a while, but I am having plenty of fun getting to know my car in stock trim. I need to get used to the tall gearing.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:33 PM
1st Gear

Congratualtions on the car, I am sureyou will start likingthe finer things and the attention to detail in the Audisas you go along. Just wondering how many miles it has and what kinda warranty (3rd party?)you have on it.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:28 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Saintforlife-

Thanks! It has 59,000 miles and has a transferrable Audi CPO warranty good to 100K miles or 6 years (03/08).

Old 06-18-2007, 07:12 AM
3rd Gear

Did not take you long to put the pedal to the metal. Check out all the chips. There are a lot of APR bigots and I have had good luck with my GIAC. Read up on them on the internet and search this forum for discussions. If you decide to chip it, in addition to replacing the diverter valves (DVs) you should also upgrade the throttle body boot (TBB). There are several options for each of these.

You should also plan on replacing the timing belt (including water pump et al) somewhere in the 80-95k range. This is considered normal maintenance and probably not covered under your warranty. Figure on $1000 from an independent and $1500 from the dealer.

I find my A6 satisfyingly fast off the line but no 1/4 mile demon. Too much weight plus AWD. Also running it hard through the gears seems a recipe for breaking parts. However, where I find it stellar, is 70-110. Even in 6th it takes off with authority and if I drop it to 5th or even 4th it will shove me back in the seat. The car is made for cruising at 100+.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:59 PM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: ppgoal

Did not take you long to put the pedal to the metal. Check out all the chips. There are a lot of APR bigots and I have had good luck with my GIAC. Read up on them on the internet and search this forum for discussions. If you decide to chip it, in addition to replacing the diverter valves (DVs) you should also upgrade the throttle body boot (TBB). There are several options for each of these.

You should also plan on replacing the timing belt (including water pump et al) somewhere in the 80-95k range. This is considered normal maintenance and probably not covered under your warranty. Figure on $1000 from an independent and $1500 from the dealer.

I find my A6 satisfyingly fast off the line but no 1/4 mile demon. Too much weight plus AWD. Also running it hard through the gears seems a recipe for breaking parts. However, where I find it stellar, is 70-110. Even in 6th it takes off with authority and if I drop it to 5th or even 4th it will shove me back in the seat. The car is made for cruising at 100+.
ppgoal-

I was kidding about 135. I think I hit a whopping 80 mph on my trip home. I'll hit the higher speed on upcoming road trips away from traffic.

APR bigots? Is it really that one sided? I was considering APR due to the proximity of Eurocode Tuning (Torrance, CA) to me and the less aggressive tune they use.

My buddy who frequents the drag strip is already bugging me to go. I already decided that my A6 is not going to see the strip. The long throws are fine too. I am going to take it easy rowing through the gears and will avoid hard launches. I have no idea what abuse my car has suffered thus far, but it will be mostly babied this point forward. I want that thrust stepping on it on the highway though. Chip, DV, and bipipes will go on at the same time.

Thanks for the advice!