B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

FIRST time owner A4 owner. Some issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 10:37 PM
1st Gear
Default FIRST time owner A4 owner. Some issues.

I just bought a 1999.5 A4 with some minor cosmetic damage. It has been well cared for and has right at 125k on the clock. I do have the maintenance logs and it just received a new timing belt. Mods are AWE kit with PC16 upgrade, GHL exhaust, 007 forged DV, carbonio intake, coilovers, and AWE center boost guage.

The car has a misifre or something similar to it. I think it is leaking boost since it has not went past 8psi and it stutters at low RPM's and struggles with high load. Anything past part throttle and its not happy. Ideas? Maybe a coilpack? MAF?

It also has light tap in the top end. Not a knock but a tap that comes and goes. How do these motors adjust shim clearance? I know it is cams over buckets but are they shimmed or do you just buy new buckets to the proper size?

Thanks and any and all help will be appreciated.

PS I am also thinking about swapping in a larger K04 from a MS3 since they flow about 38 lb min and I should not lose spool. Any other suggested turbo upgrades?

Old 10-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Administrator

The tap is normal, they all do it. If it bothers you, you could always pick up an adjustable cam gear. What are you going to shim? Are you referring to the deck height and changing the CR with a new head gasket?

As for the sputter, do you have a CEL? Had it scanned for codes yet? PC16 is a good tune so I'd rule out that as a problem and focus on MAF, plugs, coils, etc. Do a boost leak test and scan it for codes, that should point you in the right direction.

That new K04 shouldn't be a problem.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

I am a little slow on replying. My shedule got changed from evenings to days and then I will go to nights. Yippee.

Anyway The tapping comes and goes but it is normal? Nothing to worry about? Its funny because it sounds exactly like my 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS when the valves need re shimmed (and any other 4AGE motor for that matter). Its head design is alot like the 20V 1.8T but it does not use hydraulic buckets. They have a bucket with a shim on the top and you adjust by replacing the shim with either a thicker or thinner shim depening on situation.

I ran the diagnostic and got 3 codes. Cylinder 3 misifire, evaportive system malfunction (boost leak?), and P1400 which was not designated. I am pretty sure it is a coilpack though but the weird things is it will run fine one minute and run like $H!t the next.

I actually have a wad of turbos but this is going to be a daily so I want to make safe horsepower but still have fun. Here is my list:

TD04 19t and 15T, TD05 small 16G, evo III 16G and 18G, K04 from both the CX7 and MS3 (they are different), Precisions SC62 with ported cover, Garrett GT2554, T4 57 trim and 46 trim, T4 62-1 Big shaft, and I am sure several others.

WHat I would like to do is run the MS3 or maybe the CX7 turbo and see if responds like the stock turbo or fairly close. Both of these are significant increase of the K04 015 as the CX7 compressor is 42mm inducer and 60 mm exdcuer at the extended tips. The MS3 is 46mm and 60mm and uses a larger hot side AR and turbine. I am assuming that the stock turbo manifold becomes a restriction though? I have a larger front mount that will be added soon. I hate cheaping out but does the eBay cast manifolds work ok as I can adapt them easy to the T25 or T3 flange? I would like an honest 250whp though.

Thanks

PS I can get just about any turbo on the market so turbo selection is not an issue but I would really like to see how these K04's will perform in respect the stock K04 and its upgrades.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:43 AM
Administrator

99% of the cast eBay manifolds are garbage and will crack on you. Unfortunately, many more expensive manifolds are the same way. Cheapest mani on eBay that I've heard good things about is this little guy:

Stainless Exhaust Manifold Header Audi A4 VW Passat 1 8T K03 K04 Flange | eBay