Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new owner "service light" question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:49 PM
1st Gear
Default new owner "service light" question

I have been in the automotive business over 30 yrs. I usually like to take very good care of my car and I guess it would be "over-maintained", but it has served me well to date. My question is....I am told only dealer can reset "service due" light. I read through owners manual, and the is no reset procedure. Even my wife's Lexus give you instructions to reset "service" light. The Germans seem to want to keep you coming to the dealer. ???
Anyone have inside info?
Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by First Audi; 03-06-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:08 PM
3rd Gear

It can be done by you. There's a sequence of turning the key and pushing one of the reset buttons. My indie shop does it after every oil change. Frankly, I just never bothered to learn. It might be in your owner's manual, but if not do a search on this forum.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by First Audi
I have been in the automotive business over 30 yrs. I usually like to take very good care of my car and I guess it would be "over-maintained", but it has served me well to date. My question is....I am told only dealer can reset "service due" light. I read through owners manual, and the is no reset procedure. Even my wife's Lexus give you instructions to reset "service" light. The Germans seem to want to keep you coming to the dealer. ???
Anyone have inside info?
Thanks,
Bob
If you have a C6 then your only choices are the dealer or a vagcom. If you have a C5 then there is a procedure as set forth in post number 2.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:24 AM
1st Gear

Bob, having been in the automotive field for 30 years, you know the importance of providing specifics on the car you have questions about. What year is it? Which model do you have? Which engine is in it? Since you are posting in the A6 forums I will guess you do have an A6. If it is the C5 platform, 98-04 then you might be able to rest it yourself. Put the key in and turn it two clicks forward, without starting the engine and hold down the right side odometer reset stick/button. When the screen shows SERVICE, let go of the right button and press and hold the left button. SERVICE should disappear after a few moments. Start the car, and with any luck the reminder will go away for 8,100 miles.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:51 PM
2nd Gear

See Page 136 of your Owner's Manual.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:28 PM
1st Gear

You're right, I should have included more info. Sorry....
The car is a 2008 A6 Quatro, V6.
And I looked in owner's manual...page 136 cover the cruise control unit. ???
Since I posted this thread, I have purchased the Vag-Com. That is an amazing tool. Now I can reset the service light, disable the parking brake so I can replace the rear pads and many other cool diagnostic procedures.
Thanks for replies and help.
Bob

Old 03-20-2011, 09:41 AM
2nd Gear

Sorry. Page 136 is for an '02. '08 is a C6. Different car and probably a different process.