Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbe looking at A6 to purchase, need some advice! HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Newbe looking at A6 to purchase, need some advice! HELP?

Hi there everyone just a new member as of like 10mins ago never done this before so if iam posting in the wron room then i do appoligize but really need some help and some advice on what i should do!
Iam in a situation right now and need a car right away. There is a Audi A6 quattro that I seen on the net for sale just 40 mins from me and the car looks mint inside and out, I am going to look at it on sunday. I just would like to know what i need to be looking for and have a few questions that you guys might be able to answer. The car has 240000km on it new tires and loaded with every option available. Been sitting for about 1 1/2 months said that it was running last in mid December but wants to sell cause wife dose not want it and had the timing belt done and it is a bugger to start now. Also said that it has a new trani with 10k on it its fully safetied and just needs the timing set, or so he says. Is this something that i should run from or is it worth fixing and putting on the road i love the look of the car and I hear that it is a great car to own as it is peppy and great in the winter. he is asking 900 obo looks and sounds good but? Hope that you can help me out a bit, and i dont mind droping 1200 on repairs but i dont wanna get too crazy! Any help or advice would be great.....thanks.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:27 PM
3rd Gear

Year and engine are helpful to know. If it does not start, I would run away unless you have very deep pockets. If it runs, take it to a shop that knows Audi and pay ~$100 for an evaluation. $900 is not a bad price for a loaded A6 with ~150k miles, but if it needs a new engine or cats you are looking at a lot more than $1200.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

I do apologize, did not realize that I missed the year and engine! The year is 1997 and engine is 2.8. I am just not to sure what to look for in these cars, in others makers can be a no brainer or a couple of educated guess to figure it out! lol I asked when it last ran and told me that was mid December but took a bit to get it started. He told me that his wife drove it for 2 weeks and it was fine and they had the timing done when they certified the car then it might be something else. Just wanted some advice on what some things might be that would cause this problem? Thanks for the speedy response and any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:36 PM
3rd Gear

I would stay away from a 16 year old car that does not start right up and idle smoothly. No matter how pretty the body or the interior. My car spends a lot of time parked in the garage over the summer - sometimes over a month - and it starts right up. The only issues I have a sticky brakes due to rust on the iron rotors. If it idles rough, it might just need new plugs, air filter, etc - just a tune up in other words. Not starting could be something simple -- or it could be a sludged engine or bent valves. I stand by my suggestion to have someone familiar with Audis check it out and give you a list of needed service or repairs. If it is minimal, then this could be a good buy. These cars are like attractive women - fall in love with a pretty face and then be prepared to spend a lot of money maintaining it.