Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie A6 owner needs some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Default Newbie A6 owner needs some help

Hi,
I recently bought a 2000 A6 4.2 with 90K miles. WhenI took it out for my first drive the check engine light came on. I contacted the original seller ans he said that "The engine light is the O2 sensor for the Catalytic Converters not engine" He also says that he "get an engine diagnostic every few months and no problems at all. According to Audi the cats may need to be changed but my (his) personal mechanic says the sensors maybe faulty. When I (he) purchased the car the owner said he changed the cats so it may be just the sensors"

Is this even plausible, if so what do you recommened I do,I am taking the car to the dealership on monday where i predict they will tell me that i need a Catalytic Converters, which i am guessing will be about 3 to 4k money i dont have at the moment. So what do you think.
Thank you

Old 02-18-2007, 03:37 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Newbie A6 owner needs some help

I got a little lost in the I (he), my (his) thing. You bought a car that now has a CEL on, the seller says its the O2 sensors not the cats. When the seller purchased the car he was informed that the cats had already been replaced. Seems right to me since they seem to fail between 70-100k. Mine were replaced at 80k under the 100k emissions warrenty (I think) at least it said no charge.

Are you saying that the CEL is on because of a faulty O2 sensor(s) post cat?

Have you pulled the engine codes to see what they specifically are? Autozone will do it for free just so you know. Also ask the local Audi dealer to print out a list of all the service records from the car.

Jeff

Old 02-18-2007, 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: silver7x

Hi,
I recently bought a 2000 A6 4.2 with 90K miles. WhenI took it out for my first drive the check engine light came on. I contacted the original seller ans he said that "The engine light is the O2 sensor for the Catalytic Converters not engine" He also says that he "get an engine diagnostic every few months and no problems at all. According to Audi the cats may need to be changed but my (his) personal mechanic says the sensors maybe faulty. When I (he) purchased the car the owner said he changed the cats so it may be just the sensors"

Is this even plausible, if so what do you recommened I do,I am taking the car to the dealership on monday where i predict they will tell me that i need a Catalytic Converters, which i am guessing will be about 3 to 4k money i dont have at the moment. So what do you think.
Thank you
dont guess haveit checkedcodes

Old 02-19-2007, 05:29 PM

Turns out its the left catalytic converter. So can any one recommend one for a 2000 A6 4.2? They both are after market, so should i replace both? Audi told me $1600 just to replace one, meineke said $275 each. Any ideas

Old 02-19-2007, 08:50 PM
3rd Gear

Get the generic one.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:51 AM
2nd Gear

see, i dont like to get used cars from people who have a "personal mechanic" that just means trouble for me, but thats just me

Old 02-20-2007, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

Ha.. My personal mechanic used to figure things out better than my stupid Nissan dealer. But thats not audi.. Anyway.. I would go for meineke.. Lots of aftermarket stuff is the same as oem.. Or look on ebay for cats. or junkyards.. www.car-part.com .. If you balk at that then spend the $1600.. Ouch..
Ummm.. Whats this 100k emmissions warranty? I NEED to know about that.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:46 PM
3rd Gear

When I bought my A6 last year, I took it to the dealer and had them print off all the service records. The service advisor was telling me all the weak points of the car as he was looking up the records. After he printed them he went throught the 16page document with me line by line. He said "good your cats were done", your blah blah blah was done and so forth. Later I was looking over it by myself and noticed that the cats replacement was a no charge service trip. I also saw many trips to the dealer for a CEL that the dealer diagnosed as bad cats. There is one line that says 100k emissions warrenty, I assumed that meant the car had a 100k emissions warrenty and that is why the cats appear to have been replaced for free.

Jeff