Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise after shock replacement

Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Noise after shock replacement

I have a 2000 2.7 and I just got the front and rear shock changed to Bilstien heavy duty. Now the car rides rough and makes a lot of squeaks and rattling noise in the back. Will these shocks loosen up or do I have to replace them? Thanks.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:00 PM
2nd Gear

Shocks do loosen up over time, but rattling indicates something probably being loose

Old 04-08-2010, 12:08 AM
1st Gear

thanks J, that's kinda what I thought. I paid a laid off audi mechanic $550 to do my timing belt, water pump, cam seals, thermostat, and shocks all around. I guess I can't complain too much. I just gotta go back over it and check it out.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:42 AM
2nd Gear

thats not a bad [rice for that whole service. he must have been deserate for work.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:23 PM
2nd Gear
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Cmoney
I have a 2000 2.7 and I just got the front and rear shock changed to Bilstien heavy duty. Now the car rides rough and makes a lot of squeaks and rattling noise in the back. Will these shocks loosen up or do I have to replace them? Thanks.
I had the same issue after installing new Bilsteins on the rear. Thanks to this forum I was guided to checking the position of the springs ,and sure enough during reassembly of the springs on the shocks I let the whole thing turn to the point when the bottom end of the spring was not pointing toward the center of the car, and I suspect that is what caused the clunking noise every time the shocks rebounded...
I solved that issue by also replacing the stock springs with an Eibach Pro-Kit (couldn't resist lowering the car and improving the ride... )and making sure the springs are in the correct position. Ah the things we learn by making mistakes!!!
Now I still have the front to do... and make more mistakes in the process.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

Thanks alot for the info Zippy

Old 04-13-2010, 10:48 AM
2nd Gear

Can you ask your mechanic to come back and fix the mistake?
You should be able to get under the car and check the direction of the springs; that is the tell-tale.
on a side not, during the disassembly of my shocks to install a set of Eiback coils I also discovered that one of my new Bilsteins was leaking oil. I call the vendor that sold me the shocks and they are sending me a new replacement. I love dealing with FCP Groton!!! Great customer service, and they also sent me a 10% discount card and free shipping for my next purchase. What to buy next??? Oh the dilemma!

Old 04-13-2010, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

Hey Zippy, do you mean that the end of the sping on the bottom has to point towards the center of the car?

Old 04-14-2010, 06:44 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Cmoney
Hey Zippy, do you mean that the end of the sping on the bottom has to point towards the center of the car?
Yes! It was my mistake when I re-installed the sprins as I failed to keep the springs from moving position while I was compressing them with the tool and tightening the top nut. I was focussing more on aligning the top plate and bottom bracket and totally missed checking on the spring position. Live and learn!!!

Old 04-18-2010, 11:34 PM
1st Gear

Hey Zippy, I took the wheels off to look at the springs and I could see that they were about an inch off in the rotation. The end of the spring is an inch from touching the bumper stop on the mounting plate. Do you think that's the problem?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noise after shock replacement